What tool would best cut aluminum flashing so as not to curl the edge?

+5
  • William William on Feb 23, 2017
    For thin flashing I use a razor box cutter, score a few times along the cut line, bend up and down along the score line, and it snaps off. Use some sand paper to smooth the edge. For thicker material (aluminum and brass) I use a band saw.
  • Hillela G. Hillela G. on Feb 23, 2017
    Razor box cutter
  • Wren Valentine Wren Valentine on Feb 23, 2017
    Have you actually tried this?
  • Mary Mary on Feb 23, 2017
    Flashing can be purchased at a sheet metal shop for the length you need as well as the color. They usually supply Home depot and Lowe's so their price would be cheaper. Tin snips works but for big jobs you'll get tired. You can put a grinding wheel on a dremel tool and metal blade for a circle saw . You can also put the curled side under the roof edge. Wish I knew what you wanted it for. What ever you use must be very sharp , unless it's a wheel.
  • Wren Valentine Wren Valentine on Feb 24, 2017
    Want to cover outside of kitchen island. It's ugly 7& I want it to look like stainless. Maybe squares with opposing Grains? Just know I need to have smooth edges for gluing down. Not too familiar with DreMel tools but anxious to learn. Maybe all you guys out there can teach me. Who knows, maybe I'll post the project...once I learn hou to cut it.
    Thanks for the help.

• William William on Feb 24, 2017
    The metal blade on a circular saw would just tear up the aluminum sheet. I know! A Dremel would take forever and be tough to control to get a straight cut. I use the razor box cutter to cut aluminum sheeting to clad wood window and door frame woodwork.
  • Wren Valentine Wren Valentine on Feb 25, 2017
    Thanks all of you! Sounds like razor box cutter will need my weapon of choice.