What can I use in the bottom of large outdoor pots for drainage and al

+9
What can I use in the bottom of large outdoor pots for drainage and also to keep the pots from getting too heavy?
  • Ren11403943 Ren11403943 on Apr 29, 2017
    I have used plastic water bottle, cut up styro foam, and even aluminum cans.
  • Mlw3214063 Mlw3214063 on Apr 29, 2017
    Empty water or soda bottles if large container or in smaller pots use packing peanuts, avoid the biodegradable variety,
  • Susan Goodman Susan Goodman on Apr 29, 2017
    Packing peanuts
  • Yvonne Yvonne on Apr 29, 2017
    Put empty plastic wat bottles in the bottom then put in you potting soil. The water bottles take up a lot of room without the weight
  • Lko21299067 Lko21299067 on Apr 29, 2017
    Empty pop cans, milk jugs, water bottles etc., they work very well and won't be heavy.
  • Hb Hb on Apr 29, 2017
    broken styrofoam pieces
  • Morgan Morgan on Apr 29, 2017
    If you're growing ornamental plants, the plastic and packing peanuts are ok, but I would not trust them if you're growing things like kitchen herbs, tomatoes and other container edibles as they can still leach petrochemicals into the food.
  • Theresa Burns Theresa Burns on Apr 29, 2017
    Ping pong balls are safe to use and are practically weightless.
  • Elaine Elaine on Apr 29, 2017
    I use empty plant pots, turned upside down, of course. There will be gaps between the pots so I then scrunch up plastic garbage bags and stuff them in the gaps. Sometimes, I then put a folded-up layer of newspaper on top then start covering it with the soil I'm planning to use.
  • Kristil Albof Kristil Albof on Apr 29, 2017
    Newspapers! 🌼
  • Cheryl Cheryl on Apr 29, 2017
    Use styrofoam packing peanuts in the lower portion of the pot. Cover the peanuts with weed cloth ( you can purchase this in your garden center.) Or use newspaper. fill the rest of the pot with ppotting soil and plant your plants as usual . You can also use empty plastic beverage bottles instead of the peanuts. Be SURE to punch a drainage hole in the bottom of your pot to allow excess water to drain . If you don't, you will get a pot full of really, REALLY stinky water, and your plants will drown. Good luck! You'll be amazed at how light your pots are using this method.

• Msm8984487 Msm8984487 on Apr 29, 2017
    The plastic popcorn that is usedin shipping boxes.