Asked on Apr 30, 2017

How can I stop pots from getting too heavy?

Nancy TurnerBetsyGladys S
+6

What can I use in the bottom of large outdoor pots for drainage and also to keep the pots from getting too heavy?
  • Vis12965355

Packing peanuts

Are there drainage holes in the pots?
  • Lynda Dexter

Try packing peanuts in the bottom

• Eunice

Fill pots halfway with crushed aluminum cans or 2 litre bottles. Then fill with dirt.
  • Jen16258309

I have some very large planters and fill them half way with pine cone. It allows the roots room to grow around them and lightens the pots and you use less soil to fill then. I have also used crushed water bottles. They are thinner and easier to crush than soda bottles. Happy gardening.
  • Gina

I use plastic bottles like water bottles, 2 L Coke bottles just flatten them out and put them in the bottom
  • Gladys S

build up foam pices part way up first. Fills the extra space before putting soil in. Works great!

I like packing peanuts the best, but to avoid cost, recycle styrofoam by cuttint it into pieces and place at the bottom.
  • Nancy Turner

Packing peanuts also can break down. Some are made to melt in water, if you use them check to make sure you don't have the kind that will disintegrate if wet. I believe it is made with baking soda type chemicals.