How do you work around a large stump in the front yard flower garden?

Carol NiewinskiKatherine AnneDoris Ann Crow-Griffin
+4

I had a large maple tree die. Very expensive to remove. I have an old wheel from inside an old humidifier that I set on the stump for water for the birds. I would like other ideas. I could just set the wheel on the ground and put something more showy on the stump!
  • Peggy Burnette

Cut the stump to about 3 feet, paint tic tack toe board on top. Paint river rocks to look like bees or lady bugs. Great place for the kids to play.

• How about these ideas:

• Ane15888502

Great idea to hollow the stump a little n plant flowers in it. Eventually it will decay and fall apart. I had one for years n it finally turned so soft I could pull it apart. Or there is a chemical or powder you can put on it that helps it decay faster. In the meantime, enjoy it. I also hallowed one out slightly and set a concrete birdbath on it.
  • Doris Ann Crow-Griffin

i have an old stump also and every year I use wavy petunias of all colors in a low planter approximately 5 inches high cover the stump and hang down and around the stump,I've had an abundance of comments on this item . try it you may like it too..I use purple and white petunias! I've been told it is awesome!😊

• Katherine Anne

Simply make the tree stump part of the plan. What I mean is,plant your flowers & embrace the tree stump, instead of being bothered by it and make it part of the overall picture, right along with all the flowers you want to plant. An example of this would be to plant flowers, in circles around tree stump. Make as many circles around each circle of flowers,as you wish. Depending what the diameter of the tree stump is...you can put,one big or several small potted plants,on the tree stump...that drape over and look like they "waterfall"into the rest of the flower landscape. I think it would be beautiful!
  • Carol Niewinski

I'm gong to try Doris Ann Crow-Griffin's idea with petunias. Thank you all for the ideas. May use them another year. Also loved the little planting right on top the stump.