Everyone in my house is making fun of this lamp - what do you think?

+196
I gave an ugly gold lamp a makeover and made what I THOUGHT was an adorable, shabby lampshade out of strips of muslin. I barely had it finished when my sweetheart came home from work and the fun began...
He: "Oh great! We have a toilet paper lamp!"
Me: "It's not toilet paper"
Daughter: "It's closer to my bathroom than it is yours - I'll use it if I run out"
Me: "It's not toilet paper"
He: ***something I wouldn't repeat***
Me: "IT'S NOT TOILET PAPER!!!"
Oh, and the jokes just got worse from there.
What do you think? Is this a hit or a miss??
q everyone in my house is making fun of this lamp what do you think, crafts, home decor, lighting
q everyone in my house is making fun of this lamp what do you think, crafts, home decor, lighting, I decided to post the updated shade since I originally posted it in the comments section and most people don t scroll back I DID re vamp it and like it very much now Thanks for the comments
I decided to post the updated shade since I originally posted it in the comments section and most people don't scroll back. I DID re-vamp it and like it very much, now. Thanks for the comments.
  • Lulu Dubin Lulu Dubin on Jan 22, 2014
    I think this is a really cute idea, but seems like it sort of missed the mark. Some suggestions: 1. maybe use a different color fabric so that the shabbiness doesn't get mistaken for toilet paper. 2. Maybe iron the fabric so it looks less shabby and more chic 3. Add short strings of beads to the ends to weigh down the fabric and add some color :) Good luck!
  • Moxie Moxie on Jan 22, 2014
    I think it is adorable. Maybe if you add a little bling like a few strands of silver and glass beads or somthing they would like it more...but I love simple and texture and I vote a hit as is...some jysr have no vision lol
  • Linda Delap Linda Delap on Jan 22, 2014
    it needs some thing more fabric some color
  • Jill Drummond Jill Drummond on Jan 22, 2014
    Sounds like a convo I would have had with my hubs! I really like how the light comes through it but I have to admit, I did think toilet paper. Maybe layer in some colored fabric so it is more full. But in general...don't listen to a word he says ;)
  • Sally holway Sally holway on Jan 22, 2014
    Wonderful idea! More color, for sure...a print, maybe? How about shortening the bottom overhang to improve lamp/shade proportions?
  • Kathryn Ellensohn-Cogar Kathryn Ellensohn-Cogar on Jan 22, 2014
    I think it's really cute! If you'll use pinking sheers to cut the fabric it won't unravel on you so much, but, it is a good idea!!
  • Bethany P Bethany P on Jan 22, 2014
    Thank you all!! I thought about using some turquoise fabric I have leftover from something else, but thought I'd try the white instead. I think I'll add some of that and the bling is a great idea.....boy-oh-boy do I ever have plenty of beads! :) Thanks again for the feedback!
    • Bernice H Bernice H on Feb 08, 2014
      @Bethany P I like the idea and it looks like it took some time to tie all those pieces. Good for you. I do like the updated better than the original, the bit of color and shorter length make a difference. Beads would be so fun. What room are we talking about for placing? That is a consideration also, right?
  • Chrissie Chrissie on Jan 22, 2014
    As for me I would leave it alone ! It works for me. Hugs. C
  • Diane Diane on Jan 22, 2014
    Have been considering making some like this. The new bulbs are hard to read by, and lampshades are expensive. I will try this and see what the hub y says. I'm sure he will have an idea or 2.
  • Renie Thompson Renie Thompson on Jan 22, 2014
    Sometimes our sweethearts just don't see our vision...lol. I think it is cute.
  • Judy Adams Judy Adams on Jan 22, 2014
    Great idea , you had your thinking cap on .Maybe you can replace the muslin with pretty ribbons the color of your room or chiffon . good luck
  • Bethany P Bethany P on Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks again for all the feedback. Here is attempt #2 at this project. I trimmed the bottom to make it a little less shabby and added turquoise fabric and some clear crystals around the bottom (they're kind of hard to see in the photo). Better?
    • See 6 previous
    • Rose Work Rose Work on Jun 17, 2018
      I was gonna suggest shortening the ends. Looks good!

• Margie Howard Margie Howard on Jan 22, 2014
    This looks much better ! I really like it now !
  • Ann Ann on Jan 22, 2014
    I like your redo very much. The turquoise gives more interest. I think if you add more fabric so it has more volume might be a good idea, too.
  • Susan Lyons Stewart Susan Lyons Stewart on Jan 22, 2014
    I love it!!!!
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Jan 22, 2014
    The idea works but it looks a little unfinished...like you need a lot more fabric...and trim off the strings. Pressing the fabric will help too! You are almost there!
  • Donna J Donna J on Jan 22, 2014
    Bethany, you have creativity. I have many friends who would not have the slightest idea what to do as far as crafting is concern. Your lamp looks great and most of all, you did it yourself. You can even bring it into the love season with a little red heart or something. Don't be afraid to show your pride in your work and continue to use Hometalk as your idea resource. Good luck!
  • Cynthia E Cynthia E on Jan 22, 2014
    I think it looks great -- ignore hubby and daughter (they sound just like mine would while teasing me)
  • Bethany P Bethany P on Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks everyone! I like it a lot better now - and I deliberately kept the fabric on it "scarce" because I wanted a very light shade that let as much light through it as possible (no overhead light in that room - so this is lamp #3). It's also more beachy, I think, with less fabric. I appreciate all the feedback and kind words!
    • See 1 previous
    • Bethany P Bethany P on Feb 08, 2014
      It's in my dining room. There's a fan, but no light in the room & until we remedy that, I rely on lamps, but they're only on when I'm in the room.
  • Lori J Lori J on Jan 22, 2014
    I don't care for it...but it is simply one opinion.
  • Christy Marie Christy Marie on Jan 22, 2014
    I like the improvements, of course I liked the first attempt too.
  • Lin R Lin R on Jan 22, 2014
    It is darling and what is important is that you like it!!!
  • Sheryll S Sheryll S on Jan 22, 2014
    I 'LOVE' both versions of your lamp shade..... and seriously not sure if the pic you posted in a comment is version 3 or not, but I adore it.
  • Sue Bruns Sue Bruns on Jan 22, 2014
    I appreciate the concept and the effort and like the second try better than the first, but it won't be something I'll make. Sorry.
  • Martha Mothershed Martha Mothershed on Jan 22, 2014
    If you could not afford to buy a new lampshade, I liked it, but if you can afford to buy a new lampshade, I would..
  • Chrissie Chrissie on Jan 23, 2014
    Well I think it is lovely and original.
  • Carol Carol on Jan 23, 2014
    sorry, but it looks like it exploded.
    • Bethany P Bethany P on Jan 23, 2014
      @Carol I definitely like the second attempt better - and my family does, too. :)
  • Dee Dee on Jan 23, 2014
    Have to agree with hubby sorry. Im not laughing but the look on my face priceless
  • Jeanie Jeanie on Jan 23, 2014
    I think the problem is this shade is to big for this lamp, it needs a taller and slimmer base. I applaud your creativity, but the width of the shade is too broad for the base.
  • Laurie Eng Laurie Eng on Jan 23, 2014
    I like it when it is lit up, I also would have looped the fabric instead of tying in knots so that it would have a smoother appearance. Another texture of fabric instead would probably not garner the t.p. comments.
  • Lisa B Lisa B on Jan 23, 2014
    Not my cup of tea, or TP ;) I could see it with strips of calico or something with color.
  • Teresa Teresa on Jan 23, 2014
    I love it! I've seen several like this lately and I plan on making a shade just like this one for my guest room lamp. Great job!
  • Karen Roth Karen Roth on Jan 23, 2014
    I love the idea behind it but if it were me, I would use printed shabby type strips and then tie them in the middle of the strip so that it looks more like little love knots instead. But do not give up yet, no Crafter is perfect the first time around. It does take practice and as for your family...Shame on them for not giving you some encouragement.
  • Patti Mowery Patti Mowery on Jan 23, 2014
    I think the lamp is too short for such a big shade. IF the lamp base was much taller I think it would look better. I did something similar with an old 8 sided shade on a floor lamp I use on my sun porch. I cut long strips of a cotton fabric that had a flower design on it, and then I would loop the strips from the top of the shade then to the bottom overlapping the previous strip just a little bit until that one panel was covered, then I used a small pin to hold it in place before starting on the next panel. It looks like the shade came that way.
    • Bethany P Bethany P on Jan 23, 2014
      @Patti Mowery Believe it or not - the shade frame I used was from the shade that came with the lamp. I like my second attempt better, for sure - the one in the comments.
  • Linda T Linda T on Jan 23, 2014
    Check out this website. She did the same thing. CUUUUUTE!! http://creatingalifenow.blogspot.com/2013/09/junk-style-diy-garden-fencing-shade.html
  • J K  Weigle J K Weigle on Jan 23, 2014
    it looks like it would catch fire!
    Sorry, Bethany, that's not entirely what I meant.
  • Jeanine Jeanine on Jan 23, 2014
    Cute!