Asked on Sep 8, 2017

Paint Markers for Flexible Vinyl/Rubber Cable

2dogalHolly Kinchlea-BrownAndrew Bounader


I want to color code thin black cables. These cables flex so the color must also flex. I've found brush on dye but am concerned about a smooth finish. Any suggestions?

5 answers
  • M T Dietz
    M T Dietz
    on Sep 8, 2017

    Enamel paint markers. They are like spray paint in a marker. They are opaque and permanent. Use in well ventilated area.
  • Johnavallance82
    on Sep 8, 2017

    Bike Tape
  • Andrew Bounader
    Andrew Bounader
    on Sep 8, 2017

    Hi Lou,
    You could also look at heat shrink tubing; if it's only short sections of cable, which can be slipped on and heated up to conform to the cable and you can get various colours and sizes.
    Good luck
  • Holly Kinchlea-Brown
    Holly Kinchlea-Brown
    on Sep 8, 2017

    if you go to your local hardware store (or dollar store) you should be able to find a package of electrical tape with several colours in it...wrap a small piece of tape on each wire
  • 2dogal
    on Sep 8, 2017

    For cables such as on the TV, computer, etc, I just painted one end with different colored nail polish.
Your comment...