Asked on Sep 29, 2017

Painting a door

Rho30320193Jay PadenNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CA
+9

What is the best way to paint a metal door? I've read several articles but would love to hear from someone who has done this before.

• Joy30150932

I did mine in a red color. First clean the door, prime it with a good quality primer and then paint with latex paint.
  • Mary

I also did my door, and I used rustoleum primer. I used an exterior paint as it lasts longer.
  • 27524803

We live in Arizona and our (metal) front door faces west, so it get very hot (to the touch). I repainted the front door with a latex paint w/primer 2 years ago, and the paint is now cracking off of the door. Now that the weather is cooling off, I plan to strip all the old paint off of the door and repaint with a HIGH TEMP paint such as the Rustoleum BarBQue paint (probably in black, since we have black wrought iron fence) or I may use a High Temp. Engine paint. I hope that the high temp. paint can be use as a primer, then I want to go over it with the Hammered Metal paint to finish.
  • Dianacirce70

I have done this many times. The firs time I drew on a design and painted it. The last time I simply did a solid color and hand painted a welcome window at the top for some character. All you really need to do is make sure its clean, prime and paint in whatever manner you prefer
  • I always take the door off - always, makes a huge difference in the end result. Use the best UV resistent paint you can afford. Some like to spray on, I have not had problems with brush marks or roller marks, or if you prefer use a paint sponge. Thin coats are better than thick and gloppy. And let dry completely.
  • Jay Paden

Make sure to lightly sand, clean, prime and use a latex enamel so it will last or you can use oil base
  • Rho30320193

thanks so much Jay!
  • Rho30320193

Thanks Naomi!