Need some color here, looking for some ideas.

+115
I want to add some color to the front door and add some curb appeal. It is hard to tell the colors from this picture, but the siding is gray, the shutters and front door are black. The brick is a brownish/red color when it is clean. I love teal & turquoise, but not sure the color would work here. Trying to stay away from red on the door. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
q need some color here looking for some ideas, curb appeal, decks, doors
  • Z Z on Mar 14, 2014
    Is the coloring on this photo true to life? I appears not to be because of the color of the brick steps.
    • See 1 previous
    • Z Z on Mar 14, 2014
      @CraftingStuff Thanks for the color info. I like color, so this might be a little too much for you, but maybe not. With a gray house and brownish brick stairs, which I love, I'd bring in color with a variety of colored pots placed on the steps planted with colorful flowers depending on how much sun they'd get. Using the door to gauge the size it looks as though you have six feet there so this shouldn't affect the use of the stairs and would certain be an inexpensive way to add loads of color. For the door I'd go with a pretty sunflower yellow.
  • Little Bitz Inc Little Bitz Inc on Mar 14, 2014
    If possible when you post next pic can we see the color of the door too?
  • CraftingStuff CraftingStuff on Mar 14, 2014
    The house is L shaped and the area is shady right now. I will try to get better pics this afternoon when it is sunny on that side. The siding is a gray/stone color with black shutters and black front door. The bricks are not traditional red bricks, they are more brownish/red and really need to be cleaned. I will get them cleaned while I am doing this project. I also have another wood planter to move to the porch to balance the area and would like to re-paint the planters to coordinate with the color chosen for the door.
  • Michaela Michaela on Mar 14, 2014
    How 'bout a bright red on the door. And if you aren't afraid of painting brick, do a lighter gray than your siding on the stairs, it will create a sight line to the door. Then in your flower box add some red blooms. It's going to depend on how daring you are with color.
  • If you love turquoise or teal, then I would go for it! The front door should welcome you (and others) so do it in a color you love. black is not a good idea in an alcove such as yours but a medium turquoise/teal would lighten up the spot and it would go beautifully with the gray stone. You could also paint the box with your house numbers on it in the door color with black lettering (or some fun punch of color?) You definitely need a nice light too and I would leave it on or have it on a sensor so that the area is lit up more. I would use LED bulbs and they use almost no energy and set off a nice glow. You need some nice pots and green and blooms to line the steps on the left side this will dramatically change the feel of the area too. I would think about putting some shrubs in a pot or two as well for winter interest. I use small shrubs in pots for the accent plant so that in the winter my pot is not barren. Just some thoughts...
    • CraftingStuff CraftingStuff on Mar 15, 2014
      @The Garden Frog with C Renee Thank you for your ideas. I was thinking about some solar lanterns and replacing the overhead light. I have a ton of rosemary plants and may put some in pots for the porch/steps. They do well here and stay green all year round plus they have a nice fragrance.
  • Shari Shari on Mar 14, 2014
    The current colors of your house (gray, black shutters and the brick steps) are all neutral so therefore you could easily use some shade of teal/turquoise/aqua on the door. (I have a brick house with black shutters and would have never thought to use aqua on the door until I saw the combo together. I love it so much I will be painting my front door aqua this spring!) However, I do think a lighter shade in the teal/turquoise/aqua family would show up better since your door sits back in a somewhat dark alcove. A dark color is just going to add to the feeling of the entry being a dark hole. I've added a few pictures I gathered from around the web to show you some similar color combinations. I realize your house isn't brick but I added the last 2 pictures just to show you how well the aqua goes with the brick too. Go ahead! I say if you love teal/turquoise/aqua, pick your favorite shade and get busy painting! :)
    • See 5 previous
    • Deb Owens Deb Owens on Mar 14, 2014
      @Shari ALLISON---I LOVE THE MED. TURQUOISE/TEAL IDEA! THIS MIDDLE PIC LOOKS GREAT! AGAINST THE GRAY AND WHITE IT JUST SPARKLES AND LOOKS SO INVITING!
  • Anita Morgan Anita Morgan on Mar 14, 2014
    our house is a similar color. I have a dark green on the door and dark blue on the shutters. when I had black shutters we had navy blue on the door. very cool and great curb appeal
  • Carolyn Bebb Carolyn Bebb on Mar 14, 2014
    A good shade of yellow would pop!
  • Julie Dunkin Julie Dunkin on Mar 14, 2014
    Honey gold Yellow color or turquoise would look great.
  • Deb Meyers Deb Meyers on Mar 14, 2014
    I love the deep turquoise that Shari recommended - the one in the middle. The contrast is quite unexpected and a great design move.
  • Susan Jordan Susan Jordan on Mar 14, 2014
    Have you considered a purple shade? Aubergine is beautiful with your colors!
  • Fran Fran on Mar 14, 2014
    soft yellow
  • Lorraine Rabalais Lorraine Rabalais on Mar 14, 2014
    You have to be careful with yellows and oranges you don't want it to pull the wrong colors out of the siding or brick. I like the idea of the turquoise or teal. Get some sample pots and try them you want to make sure they have the same undertones as the siding.
  • Wanda Brethorst Wanda Brethorst on Mar 14, 2014
    Love the dark teal above from Shari..Tampa photos Needs to be a sharp bright shade though!! Good luck!!:)
  • Teresa Teresa on Mar 14, 2014
    paint the steps too they are ugly
  • Marleen Patterson Marleen Patterson on Mar 14, 2014
    I was thinking purple, too. Then add a pot with purples, and sticks and lights!!! Love lights to add drama!
  • Sonia T Sonia T on Mar 14, 2014
    I love the idea of a turquoise door. here are 2 more pictures to give you the idea. I think it crucial to do the framework white.
  • Duffy V Duffy V on Mar 14, 2014
    Omg. Only a levittowner would say paint the steps.
  • Grandmaquilts Grandmaquilts on Mar 14, 2014
    A paint sample cost about $4.00.. I recommend auditioning colors with fabric.... Hang a towel or even a tablecloth over your door and look at it. If you have to, take a coupon to the fabric store and buy a yard to try. Worked for us to settle an argument.
  • Paulette Paulette on Mar 14, 2014
    Something to bring out the color of the bricks? I cannot tell what color they are but I would try that!
  • Glenna Glenna on Mar 14, 2014
    I think a dark terra cotta color or the aborigine as Susan Jordan suggested would be beautiful. Terra cotta to contrast or the aborigine to blend with the color. Either would be beautiful.
  • Laura Fenley Laura Fenley on Mar 14, 2014
    Yellow. Perhaps canary or sunflower.
  • Sandra Sandra on Mar 14, 2014
    I painted mine and love it.
  • Deborah Lord Mosley Deborah Lord Mosley on Mar 14, 2014
    Pressure wash the steps don't paint them. If your storm door is white you can put the teal on the door it would show up better. Think about the shutters too, or something on the steps that also has your color teal, like a heavy vase or big pot
  • Sherry R Sherry R on Mar 14, 2014
    instead of the door, why not around the door, like a wall of pop. sunflower would be pretty
  • Max Cady Max Cady on Mar 14, 2014
    Power wash steps..pick out the brightest color of steps for door.
  • Nancy C Nancy C on Mar 14, 2014
    I've always wanted to paint my front door and mailbox periwinkle. Although I really like the color of Sandra's door too!
  • Audrey Bunch Audrey Bunch on Mar 14, 2014
    Good Grief! Do NOT paint the steps!!!! Don't know what that person was thinking when she suggested the steps were ugly, and Painting them! Whoa! Beautiful steps that could use a good cleaning is all!!!! SMH
  • Nicole Nicole on Mar 14, 2014
    I painted my garage door and front door the same color as Provence (Annie Sloan)--
  • Julie Gorniak Julie Gorniak on Mar 14, 2014
    What about golden rod?
  • Sandra T Sandra T on Mar 14, 2014
    I like that color. If you want that door to stand out, A Red color are rust color would be great
  • York Gardener York Gardener on Mar 14, 2014
    Since your entire house appears to already be teal why would you want more?
  • Bea305296 Bea305296 on Mar 14, 2014
    Can't tell what color the house is but I vote yellow too.
  • Virginia Spruill Virginia Spruill on Mar 14, 2014
    I would power wash the porch and brick, then add colorful flower pots with just greenery. If your bricks are not red, paint them brick color. There are a lot of things you could do with this. Hang cute paintings or metal shapes on the walls near the door.
  • Terri Brodfuehrer Terri Brodfuehrer on Mar 14, 2014
    go with what YOU want, it's your house. I like the post by Sandra, that's a good color! spray wash your steps (don't paint), and buy flower pots for each step, with assorted colors of flowers (petunias, etc). I have mine done that way, along with landscape lights I put in, and get a LOT of compliments on it all.
  • Lee Adair Lee Adair on Mar 14, 2014
    I LOVE a yellow door on a gray house. Plant some Daisies next to the steps, viola! -Much brighter entrance.
  • Gretta Sisson Gretta Sisson on Mar 14, 2014
    Deep purple with some sort of yellow pots around