18 or 16 gauge brads for baseboard repair- what do you think?

+5
Had new baseboards installed 2 years ago (not br me) and what looked good is now pulling away from the walls. Obviously the installer did a poor job. I’m thinking I would trim All the caulking, put a few more brads in, then recaulk and do a new paint line 1” all the way around.

Does that make sense to you?
q 18 or 16 gauge brads for baseboard repair
  • Dfm Dfm on Nov 15, 2017
    all houses settle a bit...and if the baseboards are wood they can absorb moisture when humidity is higher, and will shrink with when winter comes and the air is dryer. Most of my walls look like yours...I don’t think you need to repaint...a thin bead of white caulking should do it. My preference for caulking in side is a rope caulk. It’s easier to get off carpet...I would not use a siliconized caulk...paint won’t stick to it.
  • Sandra Sandra on Nov 15, 2017
    Loosen up put glue on board & wall. . Wait 5-10 minutes til tacky last nail it or screw it
  • Miami Pat Miami Pat on Nov 15, 2017
    Thanks
  • David McIntosh David McIntosh on Nov 16, 2017
    Trim like door casing and base boards are suppose to use 16 gauge brads because they are bigger and hold better.... but I simply use 18g since I do not want to invest in yet another nail gun and nails.

18g will hold fine if you get them into a stud. That might be the issue here.. they may only have gone into drywall.

You could pull them off and use Panel Adhesive behind the boards. You would not even need nails with that. Then just caulk the top for a smooth transition.
  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on Nov 16, 2017
    I agree with David (above). We've recently redone many baseboards and I like the 18 gauge simply because they're easier to pull for a little gal with limited upper body strength. Get em into the stud and you should be fine. Definitely the caulk and it'll look great!
  • Peter Peter on Nov 16, 2017
    " Get em into the stud" ..At the base of a wall is a 2x4 PLATE... extending 1-1/2" up from the floor, full length. Aim for that! I'd just use paintable caulk and cover the separation... remove & rework only Truly offending separations.
  • Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Nov 16, 2017
    i think you have received great advise and caulking gingerly will fix it all up.
  • Kathleen Basiewicz Kathleen Basiewicz on Nov 19, 2017
    I renovated all my crown and baseboards and used 18 gauge all over the house. No problem.