What can I use to repair the color taken out of a wood dining table?

  6 answers
  • Ken Ken on Nov 30, 2017
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words but best I would give you is maybe 150... okay 175 tops. Let's see what we do have. Top is solid wood, right? What took the finish off?

    Here's my best guess with nothing more than this photo and the color was "taken out": if you want the spot to disappear you will need to refinish the whole top. Assuming that this is a clear finish (lacquer, shellac, varnish, or polyurethane) your best bet, again with almost no information, is to use a product like Formby's Furniture Refinisher. It melts the surface away and redistributes it. You may just be able to smear things around a bit then throw on a new top coat.
    • See 2 previous
    • Repairladi Repairladi on Dec 02, 2017
      Howard's will not Dissolve Existing finish either covers water rings or a old finish.
  • Cheryl Cheryl on Nov 30, 2017
    Old English works great.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Nov 30, 2017
    Try Restore-A-Finish. Soft cloth on , rub in direction of the grain. Then wipe off with a 2nd soft cloth. About $9.00 a can at Home Depot / Hard ware stores. I have used old English, and prefer this product. Comes in a variety of colors to match all woods.
  • Jani Robinson Mendenhall Jani Robinson Mendenhall on Nov 30, 2017
    Depending on the original color iodine works great and a can be finished over with the same kind of polyurethane or varnish initially used on the table. If the iodine is not a good color moist tea bags may be used.
  • Ken Ken on Nov 30, 2017
    The photo is better on my home computer. Boy, that is a real bummer. I still recommend the Formby's and redoing the entire top. It is a volatile solvent so if you have a place to work on it outside of the house that would be beneficial. Otherwise, plan for ventilation.
    • Repairladi Repairladi on Jan 19, 2018
      I've used Howard's refurbish sealer /oil it covers water stains it has a picture of a little man with a Straw hat on the can . I don't have my can I just loan it to my daughter in law to use. so I'm trying to describe it the best way.
  • William William on Dec 01, 2017
    I agree with Ken 100%. That is really BAD! The whole top would need to be refinished. There is no way to "fix" it.
Your comment...