How to clean headlights?

+9
I purchased a kit to clean headlights, but the lights are still compromised by the build up on the headlights. Are there household products that will work better?

• Caseyem11 Caseyem11 on Dec 01, 2017
    Toothpaste works well.
  • Gir24192184 Gir24192184 on Dec 01, 2017
    WHITENING TOOTHPASTE

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Dec 01, 2017
    You can buy kits to clean your headlights, but I know you can get them cleaned at Sam's Club for around $39. After they clean them they put a UV coating on them to prevent the sun from dulling them again. They offer a 5 year warranty as well. It's worth the time and money.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Dec 01, 2017
    You have to keep cleaning until your hand hurts! At least that's what I found. The only DIY product I've found that works is an abrasive toothpaste. Colgate has been recommended.
  • Ken Ken on Dec 01, 2017
    Purchasing is not enough. You have to use the kit ;-)

I am wondering what kind of kit that you bought and whether you followed instructions. All of the ones I have seen use sandpaper to remove the "buildup", which is not really buildup. It's the original plastic deteriorating in the sun.

A light clouding may be erased with toothpaste but I am guessing that is not what you are experiencing. If the lights are too far gone to be helped by proper use of a headlight restoring kit they need to be replaced. There is no home remedy to make sun deteriorated plastic clear again.

• RBE RBE on Dec 01, 2017
    409 or most any other degreaser....I know *degreaser* sounds weird, but it works like no other. Good Luck!
    *on a personal note, I use 409* but to each our own : )