Pamela
Pamela
  • Charlotte, NC
Asked on Dec 6, 2017

Help used Annie Sloan’s black wax-how do i remove the wax and prep?

PamelaK.s30641023Lindy
+9

client stated she wanted black wax but after applying it to the piece she really dislikes it. How do i remove the wax and prep for new coat of chalk paint?
q help used annie sloan s black wax
  • Shoshana

You can try removing it with some mineral salts. Use a damp rag and rub in the direction you paint. But it is also possible that if it's chalk paint, you can just paint right over it and start again.

• If the wax is fully cured (2-3 weeks) you can repaint it and start over. If the wax is fresh you will need to remove it with mineral spirits before repainting. I use one of those green scrubby pads dipped in mineral spirits to remove wax. Just be sure to go with the grain of the wood. Also, always use clear wax before dark wax so you don't end up with dark blotchy patches on your piece.

• Rini

And if all that fails, you could seek the help of the Annie Sloan company directly. https://www.anniesloan.com/

• Melody

Yuck! I had the same problem when a client changed her mind on color after the piece was waxed. I cleaned it off with isopropyl alcohol, a plastic scrubby, then a quick sand. The repaint went on without a problem.

• Julie Moyna

I made the mistake when I first started with waxing...I used dark wax only. Big mistake unless you like it that way. use clear wax to seal before using any dark or colored wax. It will seal and not have the colored wax set into the paint or wood. Always use a test piece (I learned that the hard way too). Good luck!

• Lindy

I had a buffet I wanted to paint that was clear waxed when I got it. Impossible to paint correctly with this uneven finish as it had water spots from plants and general wear. I used mineral spirits, but stopped since I had to do this piece in my living room! Ended up scraping it CAREFULLY with a razor blade and a metal and plastic scrubby, sanding with heavy duty sandpaper, fine sandpaper, and finally Kilz to seal. Not a wax fan and I know I'm in the minority, but just too permanent unless you keep that look forever. A LOT of hard work and broken fingernails, but it turned out really nice so worth it.

• K.s30641023

.Denatured alcohol is the best way to remove the wax. Be sure you do it in a well ventilated area

• Pamela

Thank you Ladies yes a tough lesson to learn! Thankfully my client is super forgiving and we are working to make it better. The mineral spirits did help and another coat of paint and back to a workable stage. Thanks for the info on using clear wax first.