How do you smooth out an uneven wall?

I have a wall where there is paneling that has bowed out in places. Is there any way to smooth it out without replacing the paneling?

  6 answers
  • Ken Ken on Jan 21, 2018
    The only way to fix hardboard paneling that has bowed from moisture is to replace.
  • Is it the paneling that is bowing or the actual wall behind it?
    • Paula Goss Paula Goss on Jan 21, 2018
      It is the paneling. It was smooth at one time, but it is the really cheap paneling and over time it started bowing.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jan 21, 2018
    You beat me to it Naomie, that was what I was going to ask!
  • William William on Jan 21, 2018
    I agree with Naomie. Is there drywall behind the paneling or is the paneling just nailed to studs? Can you push the bowed areas in be hand? You may be able to use colored paneling nails and nail it into he wall.
  • Maggie Maggie on Jan 21, 2018
    If nailing it in place and this works, but the nail heads shows try painting locating a design pattern which would include the nail heads or cover them. Kind of like painting cracks in cement where you make it part of the look.
  • Nancy Walters Nancy Walters on Jan 22, 2018
    if Possible, I Would try to pry it loose, just to make sure there is not a bigger problem behind it
Your comment...