Are hypertufa & concrete planters supposed to be waterproof ?

+7
I’ve been experimenting with concrete this year, making planters and most have turned out great. But the draped hypertufa pots allow water to seep in and out. Are they too thin? Maybe spray with a waterproofer?
q are hypertufa concrete planters supposed to be waterproof
  • Faye Faye on Feb 03, 2018
    I haven't done it yet, but my understanding is that they are porous, like clay pots, which is best for most plants. Being out of concrete and the perlite and peat moss, that would allow for water to drain out, and not be totally waterproof. It would also enhance their use outside year round. If they were sealed, your plants might drown from too much water.
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Feb 03, 2018
    they are not waterproof, nor should they be; they need to 'breath' like any planter -- pif you want 'waterproof' go with plastic or metal and put drain holes around the bottom
  • Hope Williams Hope Williams on Feb 03, 2018
    Land shark is absolutely right!
  • 9530106 9530106 on Feb 03, 2018
    Your pots are amazing! I would love to see or know what some of the container and techniques are that you use. Definitely would not want to seal them, but I have seen some painted, which to me defeats the "concrete quality"! lol
    • See 1 previous
    • 9530106 9530106 on Feb 03, 2018
      Good point, I have heard to do that. :)
  • Joannie Joannie on Feb 07, 2018
    I spray paint outside and spray inside with pruning sealer...that makes them pretty waterproof which keeps outside paint on better
    • Janet A. Kelmer Janet A. Kelmer on May 19, 2018
      Never thought of using pruning sealer. I do cement sculpting and use a sealer for cement. The Hypertufa planter can be partially sealed around the outside, leaving the bottom part not sealed. Amazing planters, good job.
    Never thought of using pruning sealer. I do cement sculpting and use a sealer for cement. The Hypertufa planter can be partially sealed around the outside, leaving the bottom part not sealed. Amazing planters, good job. · Reply