Asked on Mar 5, 2018

Has anyone painted the exterior of a brick home? Tips, brush, sprayer

ShariPJ KelleyDaniel D Brewer
+5

• 27524803

Check with DIYnetwork.com or HGTV.com the folks on there paint brick all the time... especially on Fixer Upper
  • Gks32821503

I painted the brick fireplace on the inside of my home. It was a nightmare and a lot of work. If you were going to do an exterior house I would say use a sprayer so it will get into the below grooves
  • Daniel D Brewer

Use both a brush and spray. First prep the brick by pressure washing. Repoint any loose . When the wall has dried for several days use an airless sprayer to apply the paint. Back brush to get the paint in all the places the sprayer missed. Then apply a light coat over what you back brushed .
  • PJ Kelley

I painted my house in Phoenix (years ago) twice during the time I lived there. The brick really takes a lot of paint. I used a brush and roller but wish I'd used a sprayer because I think it would have gone faster and been easier.
  • Shari

I used a sprayer and painted our brick house and at the aluminum siding one solid color about 10 years ago. We taped off the windows and cut in just as you would if you were doing an interior room. The sprayer made the job easier especially on a two story home with a good size pitch on the second level. We haven't had to paint again. We spent a little extra money to get a premium exterior paint. And, it definitely paid off in the long haul.