Asked on Mar 5, 2018

Ideas to grow grass in my backyard?

Chas' Crazy CreationsJanet PizaroShore grandmom
+11

I have so many pine trees which I love, but due to it being so shady, grass wont grow there. Not sure if this falls into a DIY advice.
q i cant get grass to grow in my backyard
  • Caseyem11

I had a shady back yard and gave up on grass. I made beds and mulched paths. depending on the size of your yard you could also create a patio.
    • Linda

MONKEY GRASS!!! Spreads and forms thick, dark green ground cover. LOVES shade. No special care required. Have it lining my driveway and now its surrounding the huge sweet gum tree where I couldn't get anything to grow!
  • Vimarhonor

Its a valid question, I have the same troubles with multiple cedar trees.
    My cooperative extension consultation said to “mulch the area.”

I have had failure trying to grow grass using seed, sod and the roll out fiber mat.

I have had success with sedum, pachysandra, lillies of the valley and vinca ground covers directly under my evergreen trees. These alternatives to grass made be worth the consideration.

• Vimarhonor

Oh I can understand...we have a similar “situation” blowing our way too!

Lastly -one idea-Perhaps there is a specific grass seed variety suited to your shaded situation, planting zone and soil in mind. A great resource that I have used and highly recommend .....is your local Cooperative extension. These offices are manned by a wonderful team of master gardeners that know your local situation quite well. There's also email ( submit a photo) Q&A resources that have helped my concerns and questions many times. Consider googling up your local extensions office.

One of my past turf questions was ansered by a university professor!
      I hope you find your solution perhaps with soil testing, aeration or a particular seed variety- you can get better results than we did.
      Good luck!

• Jackie

You could plant Dichondra grass. It's a ground hugging plant that spreads by rooting surface runners. Its small, round leaves look like miniature water lily pads. In shade and with regular moisture and nutrients, it can grow up to 6 inches and and it requires frequent mowing. Each leaf consists of a stem with a almost circular or kidney-shaped leaf top. We used to have it when I was little. Looks like grass as far as being green. Depending how much effort and money you want to do you can get some seed and just toss it out there, keep it moist. Us kids did all the mowing and I don't remember having to mow it a lot.
  • Shore grandmom

Have you tried zoysia grass? It's a weed type grass and will grow anywhere. You can get it in seeds, plugs or sod. Just make sure to have a good border around any gardens, it can be invasive. I used to live in the pine barrens in NJ and we had a lot of shade and a really sandy soil and it grew like crazy. Good luck with your project.
    • Shore grandmom

You're welcome. Zoysia grass actually stays green longer than regular grass and requires less cutting, it's a slow grower with height but spreads fairly quick.
      You would have to use a garden border that goes deep. It spreads with it's roots, so it will go under something that isn't deep. Good luck with your lawn.
  • Chas' Crazy Creations

Here is an article that might help - Grass Won't Grow - good luck