Calling All Refinisher's

+8
Hello, I am looking to see if anyone can tell what kind of wood they think this table might be made out of. It was an awesome find and now that I have stripped some of it I have no idea what I have uncovered. I don't want to ruin the natural wood by painting it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
q calling all refinisher s
Table After starting to sand

q calling all refinisher s
Table leg after Sanding to Original Wood.
q calling all refinisher s
Original look of Table before Sanding
q calling all refinisher s
Original wood after sanding completed.
  • Jcraw Jcraw on Mar 16, 2018
    was this decoratively painted? Original paint black with gilt and other colors?
    • Diane Sampson Diane Sampson on Mar 16, 2018
      No it was originally stained as in the picture and once I sanded it down it has this almost yellow tone.

• Karen Karen on Mar 16, 2018
    I’d like to offer my opinion but your picture didn’t post.
  • Suellen Hintz Suellen Hintz on Mar 16, 2018
    Your pictures posted but there's no way to actually see the wood. Doesn't look dark enough to be mahagony but just a guess. Age of the table? What kind of table? Any grain to the wood? Just can't see it well enough. Sorry.

I can take some more pictures. It was stained a dark brown and when sanded down has become this yellow color.

If it's just a 'find', feel free to refinish it however you want!
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 16, 2018
    a lot of furniture was made with popular, but I cant see the graining to tell for sure. popular was used a lot in the late 1800's early 1900's. it classified a hard wood. occasionally a soft wood. its perfect choice for painting.
  • William William on Mar 16, 2018
    You photos are so small can't tell. Closeup of some of the grain would help.
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Mar 16, 2018
    I can't see the grain, that is your real identifier for wood. But maple is a yellow wood sometimes and was used in older furniture. Oak can also be golden. If you really like the grain, sand it and use an oil finish.