Can anyone tell me how to sharpen SCISSORS please. Thank you.

+5
I have a number of scissors, so don't want to buy any more. Most sharpeners are only for knives.

• Dan32679009 Dan32679009 on Mar 20, 2018
    a wetstone allows you to pick the angle. ...i have also used a sharpening blade, though that is more awkward.
  • Pat Russell Pat Russell on Mar 20, 2018
    Scissors are harder to sharpen - like two knives! I have seen a sharpenter (don't remember where, unfortunately) that you "cut" with the scissors over a rod-looking sharpener. Check your hardware store or big box home store. Also, check with fabric/sewing machine stores as they often know who to call to sharpen scissors. Our local store as a man come every few months for a very reasonable price. Best wishes, as dull scissors are awful!
  • Susan krom Susan krom on Mar 20, 2018
    Amazon has several combo sharpeners which have accessory for scissor and also do knives. About 10 dollars.
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 20, 2018
    Some times cutting thru sand paper can help a bit, and there have been gadgets advertised to sharpen them. Meh was the results have a pro sharpen them.
  • Back in the day, the fabric shop I worked at, had the knife and scissor sharpening crew in every few months. My local fabric stores no longer perform this service. You can do this at home. Here is how!

I have far too many scissors, so I Googled and found an excellent local knife shop that does it for a nominal fee.
  • Carmen Carmen on Mar 20, 2018
    Cutting sandpaper with them helps.
    Carmen
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 20, 2018
    Just about all stores have a small sharpener for scissors where you find the scissors in the sewing accessory isle. You can also sharpen them with a wet stone or cutting into thick aluminum foil. A wet stone may not be able to sharpen all the way up the blade unless they are the ones you can take apart (they have a screw where the blades come together).