Enclosed window greenhouse

+4
Problem, I have cats that destroy plants. I have one indoor plant in the bathroom, Christmas Cactus. It's kept in a 3 shelf plastic enclosed greenhouse that just takes up too much room & ugly. I want to build something that would be enclosed, viewable & breathable against the top half of a window on the inside of the house. Has to be at least 2 feet deep & 3 feet tall. Some Ideas I've had, plexiglass, screens, etc. But other than a few impossible ideas in my head, I have no idea where to begin. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, I'm sure there is someone who just would love to come up with an idea for this challenge.
q enclosed window greenhouse
Plant in current greenhouse thing.
q enclosed window greenhouse
Example of window looking to build an enclosure on. Upper or lower half & need to be able to open either top or bottom.
  • Betsy Betsy on Apr 08, 2018
    Well, I have Christmas Cactus' too, and don't enclose them at all. The main one is from a cutting my grandmom got in - ready - 1913! Anyway, I have it hung from the ceiling. It's way bigger and heavier than yours, so you can either hang it from one of the beams in the ceiling on one of those macrame things or on the wall with a sturdy hanging bracket. There's no need to cover it at all. I get loads of flowers on it, and all of the babies it had - so easy to grow, just stick a piece with air roots in the dirt and it will grow - and they are red. I also have a white/pink one, too. Some of them don't know when Christmas is, so they bloom at Easter:) This way, you will have your floor area clear. Good luck:)
    • Billy Woodruff Billy Woodruff on Apr 09, 2018

Similar scenario here too. I don't have indoor plants because of the cats & I inherited this one from my parents who inherited it from my grandmother. Not sure the age of it, but it only ever flowered once before enclosing it. I'm guessing the closed space is why. I'll see if I can hang it out of the cats reach. He almost destroyed it a few years back.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 08, 2018
    I forgot to mention that if your cats are eating your plants, make a mixture of 1/2 water and 1 bottle of Oil of Clove or Clove oil - same thing, in a spray bottle and spray whatever is being eaten, lightly. It won't hurt the cats or the plants, smells great but tastes horrible and makes the animal think that their tongue is about as big as a bowling ball! Once they smell the oil, they will head for something else to destroy:) Spray that too:) You can get the oil at any store that sells candy making supplies, sometimes even the local grocery store carries it near the spices. The bottle is about 2" tall and costs a couple of bucks. Good luck. If you have a window sill and the cats like to take a stroll on the sill and knock the plants off - an accident of course - you attach one of those curtain rods that stick out about 4 or 6 inches from the wall, about 3 or 4 inches, or 1/2 way up your flower pot, to the wall. The cats can walk, but not knock anything off. Yeah, I have cats too:)
  • Cindy Cindy on Apr 08, 2018
    Hi Billy, You could use picture frames with glass to form a box for your plant. Since it's in your bathroom, I recommend using a stronger glue than your average glue gun. Perhaps Gorilla Glue to attach frames together. Make the top like an "A" frame to gain access. Best of luck to you.
  • 19698379 19698379 on Apr 09, 2018
    Clove oil is often available in pharmacies as a remedy for toothaches.

• Betsy Betsy on Apr 09, 2018
    Cats, gotta love them, but they sure do get into things. Spray your plants with a mixture of 16 oz of water and 1 bottle of Oil of Clove (get it at any candy store, it's only a couple of bucks. Mix in a spray bottle and spray your plants or anything the cats get into. It won't hurt them, smells great but tastes awful. Your plants will flower if you give them sufficient fertilizer or plant food. I use Schultz's, but anything might work. I'd give the plants about 1/2 cup of water when the top inch gets dry and fertilize once a month when they are getting ready to flower and for a month after they are done flowering, then every other month. You can spray the leaves, too, but not the flowers.
  • Vickie Vickie on Apr 09, 2018
    I put mine in a bird cage and it looks great.