Tami
Tami
  • Williamstown, NJ
Asked on Apr 14, 2018

Help our lawn

VimarhonorLina SplichalPatty S
+5

We have septic buried in our front lawn and need help with what to plant. So there is a hump and then it goes down to those two windows. We know we can cut the pipes down but what other suggestions for low maintenance landscaping?
q help our lawn
q help our lawn
  • Jcraw

What about a rock garden with multiple assorted-size potted plants which you can “dig into“ the spaces a bit. I would even include miniature evergreenS for color over the winter.
    The rocks will help you adjust the ground levels. Easy to move if you ever need to, and they’ll complement your wall.
    Go to some local nursery for the most diverse choices in miniature/dwarf plants.
    Rocks will also lessen your mowing needs.
    Invite your friends to donate rocks. Make it a party.

• V Smith

It sounds like you are talking about the field drain. I would avoid anything with deep roots, like trees and shrubs. With grass all you have to do is mow it.

• Obe12800884

There are plenty of ground covers that have shallow roots. You can add perennials for color. Even do a gardenscape with rocks, gravel, bark. I don't know what the regulations or recommendations are. You might want to find out from the company that put the septic in. You don't want to invest time and money into a super garden only to find it has to be removed.

• Patty S

I did a rock and perennial garden. I shaped it in more of a round triangle and even built my own rocks with hypertuffa.

• Lina Splichal

You might want to place a 3-4' strip of gravel next to your house so catch any runoff that might want to invade your windows. For the rest of the yard you can continue the gravel theme with paths through grass (or sod) or rocks to focal points of plantings. Some plants that should work well for you would be tulips, daffodils, columbine, marigolds, coneflowers, cacti, daylilies and spreading yew. None of them will need a great deal of watering or tending.

• Tami

Thank you, the windows are high enough for our area and we have a great drainage system around the house. I like the rest of your reply.

• Vimarhonor

Your local cooperative extension can help-
    heres the Virginia bulletin