Can I paint a metal register that is in the hallway with spray paint?

+5
We installed new wood floors and I would like for it to be darker.

• ☘️ TxIreland ☘️ TxIreland on May 24, 2018
    Yes you can Spray paint away!
  • Sharon Sharon on May 24, 2018
    Sure just remove the cover and take it outside to spray it..... if it gets really hot I would use High Temperature Paint like Rustoleum there is also Vermont stove paint that comes in many more colors.
    • See 1 previous
    • Sharon Sharon on May 24, 2018
      I find Rustoleum paint holds up real well on metal..... I mean 5-10 years down the line if people are walking on it daily you might have to touch it up. buff it up with steel wool first.
  • Mogie Mogie on May 24, 2018
    Yes. Just sand it lightly first and wipe it down. After it dries applies several light coats of paint and it should look like new.
  • William William on May 24, 2018
    You sure can! Use Rustoleum paint for metal. Lightly sand to remove any gloss and roughen the surface for paint. Several light coats will get you a smooth finish. Doesn't matter if it's a supply or return. Supply registers do not get that hot like Sharon says. I've done this for years when I was in the business.