Asked on Aug 31, 2018

How to clean outside panel window door?

DebkerMartha WKel32575683
+2

Looking for a suggestion on how to clean the melted sealant off my front door. It catches all dirt that blows by. I have used goobe gone and scraped what I could but still have remnants. Want to reprint door but need to clean this up. TIA!

q how to clean outside panel window door
  • Deborah Perrin

Try TSP & coarse steel wool. If you are going to re-paint anyway, scraping some of the paint existing won't matter.

Hopefully the sealant has stopped oozing. Sometimes the sealant can ooze for years Try using rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, or mineral spirits to clean it off.

• Kel32575683

I would use a putty knife to scrape it off... I would also use a long flat razor blade for around your window. Good luck...

• Martha W

You might try heating the sealant residue with a hairdryer or a heat gun. Heat guns are used for removing old paint and adhesive. Heating the sealant might soften it enough that it will scrape off easily with a metal putty knife.

• Debker

Carefully use a razor knife to scrape off the excess putty, lightly sand the frame, tape the glass with frog tape to keep it clean, put a layer of Kilz on as your primer coat, then paint