Soap stain?

MEGSee bairdBetty Barbeau Pezza
+10

How do I prevent getting this stain on my granite kitchen counter from my hand soap?

I get this stain from my hand soap I leave at my kitchen sink. Is there another way to leave my soap out with out this happening? Thank you, Betty

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

That's com the oil in the hand soap, try a paste of baking soda and a little water to set on it for a few days to see if it will pull out the oil. If not call the marble co who installed it and see what they say. Once cleaned , reseal the stone.

• Sandra McIntyre Cramer
    Sandra McIntyre Cramer

If the stain is from the bottom of a container, just spray 2 coats of clear paint spray on the bottom of it, or use a different container to either put the whole bottle in or pour the soap into it Does that stain I see there wash off, or is it stuck there?

• Linda Sikut
      Linda Sikut

HI Betty,

If it's a new home - meaning not just new to you - it should be repaired by the contractor. I'd give them a call if that's the case. Wishing you the best.

• Lisa
    Lisa

I have granite also and learned a lot about these countertops from having one. There is no way to prevent this from occurring unless you dont sit anything on your countertop. Mine does the same thing even though the counter has been sealed. It is annoying I know. You can clean it off good with warm water until you dont see anymore soap coming ffrom the area and then let it air dry. But it will just happen over and over again. I never knew granite would be so high maintainence. I wanted quartz and husband wanted granite. Next time I get quartz instead. Good Luck.

• Betty Barbeau Pezza
    Betty Barbeau Pezza

Calling installers. I’ll wash again, but not holding my breath. I do a lot of cooking and wash my hands repeatedly. Gotta come up with another solution. Thanks for your help.

• See baird
    See baird

I have granite and it’s been sealed several times, and it still get stains. The worst was spaghetti sauce that was spilled on it, I cleaned it several times but the stain is still there! I chose granite because I thought it would not stain, WRONG.

• Betty Barbeau Pezza
      Betty Barbeau Pezza

Seriously? It just doesn’t seem right. We should have stayed with coriander. I never had problems with that either. I could bleach out any stain. Lol

• MEG
    MEG

Hi Betty. I have the same exact stains on both my kitchen granite and marble bathroom counter tops where the soap dish is. Its darker than the rest of the surface. Nothing will remove the stain. Its discolored due to the soap dispenser being placed on top of it and no air circulation underneath it I guess. Like it oxidized it or something. Since I need the soap dispensers in both the kitchen and bathrooms theres not much I can do to avoid this from happening over time.

• Betty Barbeau Pezza
      Betty Barbeau Pezza

Ugh! I’m learning not all granite is equal. I have granite up north and never had this problem. Thanks for sharing, hate that your dealing with this too.