How do I redo my interior hollow cinderblock walls?

+5
  • Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Nov 20, 2018

Paint is the easiest, but see if you don't find some inspiration here:

https://www.pinterest.com/sharaleenp/cinder-block-wall-cover/?lp=true

• Donna Hymer Donna Hymer on Nov 22, 2018

Thank you for the suggestion. My home was built of hollow cinderblock and all exterior walls need to be finished so that I can hang shelving and photos on those walls.

• Suzanne L Suzanne L on Nov 20, 2018

Why do you need to redo them? Do they have effervesence on them or do you just want to finish the space?

Home Stores have products to remove the white crystally effervesence if needed. The also have waterproofing paint to seal them.

• See 1 previous
    • Suzanne L Suzanne L on Nov 22, 2018

I’d paint with a waterproofing paint then attatch furring strips to the walls. After that you can apply insulation and paneling or if dry enough even sheetrock. Please make sure the basement stays dry before adding anything to cover the walls. You don’t want mold growing between the paneling and the cinder block walls. Otherwise there are fasteners to attatch things to concrete walls. It does depend on the climate where you live.

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 20, 2018

Hi Donna: Is this the basement and are you looking to replace one or two blocks or the entire wall? I wouldn't attempt the entire wall, I'd just cover it up with something like paneling. If you are looking to replace a couple of blocks, just knock them out (don't knock out more than 1 in a row at a time or you will compromise the entire wall), clean the hole of debris, completely, removing the old motar, pieces of cinderblock, etc. Then, put a goodly amount of mortar on all of the edges of the new block and set the new block into the hole and make it flush with the wall. Fill in any gaps that are visible in the mortar. Do that with every block you need to replace. If you are looking to replace an entire wall, you will need a professional who will use ceiling jacks to hold the ceiling steady to keep the upstairs upstairs and not downstairs. :) Good luck

I live in a hollow cinderblock house. So all of my outer walls are in need of sealing and finishing so That I'm able to hang shelves and photos on my walls.

• William William on Nov 20, 2018

Paint.