How to fix a leaky basement wall from the inside?


I need advice regarding how to fix a leaky basement wall from the inside. I am trying to determine if there is anything I can do (my husband and I are pretty handy) to fix this issue, or if we need to call in a professional on this job.

We started noticing what looks like water and dampness a few days ago and we're not sure what is causing it. Does anyone have experience with this problem that they can share? What are some steps we can take to figure out the cause or even how to fix a leaky basement wall on our own? Thanks!

q how to fix a leaky basement wall from the inside
  4 answers
  • Suzette Suzette on Nov 21, 2018

    Hi Helen, There are ways to treat your walls, however your problem is caused from water on the outside that needs to be addressed first. Here's a video that has some good information that may help:

    Good luck!

  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Nov 21, 2018

    Good morning Helen,

    That darn water can be a mess! The first thing you need to do is direct it away from the foundation. Some houses have wide eves that helps keep the foundation dry and some don't.

    Next, you will want to make sure you have proper size and installed gutters and downspouts...and make sure your downspouts take the water away from the house instead of just dropping it at the base of the foundation.

    Sometimes you have to consider reshaping the slope of your lot to redirect water. This will take some serious investigation, and there are many videos on line to help you.

    Good luck!

    • See 1 previous
    • Regrade the area to slope away from the house and not into it. Have consults with a soils expert and /or structural engineer if need be and heed their recommendations.

  • Ar Sayre Ar Sayre on Nov 21, 2018

    Drylock can be applied to the inside walls . It penetrates the brick and seals out minor moisture. Then get the exterior re-graded, install proper drainage, hire a professional if needed. You can buy Drylock at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Menard's. It comes in gallon cans and I think you can have it tinted. My Mom painted her basement walls with it and she is quite happy with the results.

    • See 1 previous
    • Ar Sayre Ar Sayre on Nov 22, 2018

      Dfm has it correct... Bob Vila and Holmes on Homes both have DIY videos.

  • Dfm Dfm on Nov 21, 2018

    You need to bank dirt at an approximate 45 degree angle at your foundation of the house, extend your gutters downspout about 10 feet away from the foundation. If that doesn’t help a lot, you can dig out a depression as a mini holding area for the water, it’s called a swale. Check on the bob villa web site, or this old house site. Re grade ing is to get the dirt sloping away from the house, so water can drain into the yard, but away from the house.

Your comment...