Jay
Jay
  • United Kingdom
Asked 8 days ago

How do I get rid of dampness and the smell from a wooden unit?

Kathy Gunter LawDiane CoverdaleEmy Flint | Semigloss Design
+6

• Rita DS Moniot

I had an old dresser. Filled spaces with crumpled newspaper and placed containers of baking soda (plastic containers with small holes in lid). Left it for about 3 weeks. Worked rather well!

• Jay

Hello Rita.

thanks for you’re answer.I will definitely try this as I have already got them here to start with.

• Let it sit in the sunshine if possible as well. The sun kills a lot of the smells. I also like ODORid for smells in furniture. It can be found at hardware stores with the cleaning supplies. Spray it on and it neutralizes the smells.

If it's a built in, maybe place a dehumidifier near it or a fan on it for a while.

• Jay

hello Sue.

Thanks for replying

To big to sit outside although I like you’re idea of odorid long term hopefully for the smell.Haven't heard of that name and don’t know if I’m able to buy it in the uk but I will certainly try it after the baking soda as it sounds good and cause the house is so damp I am going to have to purchase a dehumidifier.

• Diane Coverdale

Old fashion charcoal in a closed paper bag or if you know of someone with a cat, kitty litter in a sock or panty hose leg.

• Charcoal on newspaper is a great odor eliminator. Make sure you purchase the charcoal that is lighter fluid free.

I cheated and purchased these and they worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7NHVZK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1