Shay
Shay
  • Los Angeles, CA
Asked on Dec 15, 2018

How do I unclog my outside gutter drain?

BetsyWilliamEbbjdl
+5

The drain near the garage is clogged and now water backs into my garage. My driveway is at a slope.

• Have a snake? You can rent at any tool supply. How long have the gutters gone without cleaning? I do spring and fall and if we have had a lot of wind I get up there and clean out in between times.

• Ebbjdl

Shay, You need to get on a ladder, and clean the leaves, check to see if a shingle is blocking the water flow, or the downward pitch needs adjusting. Aloha!

Use a garden hose down the drain and use it like a plumbers snake. The force of the water should push the clog through.

Hi Shay: Have you looked into the downspout from the top and/or bottom? There might be something right there on the edge that is making the clog. If you can't reach it, then I'd try William's suggestion. What you don't want to do is to compact the clog and make things worse. If you can't get the thing clean, then replacing that portion of the gutter may be in order. It's not hard or expensive. And, once you get it cleaned, or replaced, get one of those gutter guard replacement things that you stick into the hole of the down spout. Home Depot has them for about $20 for 4, or you can just put a piece of screening over the hole to let the water through, but not debris. Good luck