Asked on Jan 8, 2019

How do I clean bathroom shower tile?

OlivaNaomie Moore aka baileyanddaisey, Castaic CAHeje

Less than a yr. ago we moved to our new remodeled home. We installed this really beautiful, kind of dark orange tile. You can see all the scum on the walls and floor. I have tried cleaning it with several scum cleaning products, and nothing works. Does anyone have any idea what will clean the scum off the shower tile? thanks

• Heje

I read that white toothpaste may remove the scum. Try it and see.

• Cat

Thanks for your response, but I think it will take to many tubes of toothpaste to clean.

• Vinegar water solution will work.

• Oliva

You need to determine if you have a hard water problem. If so, a water softener should be installed.

Also, using a better grade of car polish on your wall tiles ( don't wax the grout), will save you a great deal of cleaning. Let the polish dry after you've rubbed it onto tiles, then buff dry with a clean, soft cloth that has not been subjected to fabric softener.

• Oliva

Hi, Cat,

Using a better car wax on tiles has reduced tile cleaning to a minimum, for many years! I highly recommend the practice.

Best of luck, and let me know how it works for your tile.