Ncb
Ncb
  • Peoria, AZ
Asked on Jan 11, 2019

How do I repaint glazed/shiny painted wrought iron patio furniture?

DWC CrowBonny Batchelor
+6

This set is old, has glazed/shiny layer over the paint, what and how do I repaint a different color on this wrought iron? I believe this set will meet my patio needs for the next 100 years, so sturdy and classic design, just want to change the color. Thank you, Nancy Bacon

q how do i repaint glazed shiny painted wrought iron patio furniture

This set is old, has glazed/shiny paint, what and how do I repaint a different color on wrought iron?  Thank you, Nancy Bacon

This set is old, has glazed/shiny paint, what and how do I repaint a different color on this wrought iron?  I believe this set will meet my patio needs for the next 100 years, so sturdy and classic design. Thank you, Nancy Bacon

• Cristine Meixner

wire brush very well then use Rustoleum spray paint

• 80 or 60 grit sand paper would be better, then use a softer grit 100 0r 120 to remove any deep scratches to soften before painting, rustoleum is good soom color have the primer in them so you eliminate one step, but you do need to prime, good luck!

• Gary

I would have it to a sandblasted. then you can prime it and paint it. It would look like brand new.

• Carol Jackson

Liquid sand solution may make prep easier to degloss previous finish as long as finish is in good shape with no peeling or flaking. Rustoleum definitely good choice. I used oil based on my set and it has held up for nearly 10 yrs. Under covered deck with open sides so they still get some exposure to the elements and are left out in Iowa weather. Grandparents old "Florida set " purchased in the late 50's.

• Huntress

Rustoleum as suggested, buy 1 can, it's specifically made for metal, and check it out on an inside leg. Rustoleum is made for this, paint n primer in one, I have cleaned n repainted alot outdoor things with it n still looking good. Light sanding first. I even painted a cement planter with a shiny paint on it and it did great.

• Bonny Batchelor

I would sand, sand sand. Apply two coats of Kilz (drying in between) sand with fine grit. Instead of Rustoleum- I would find a color I was crazy about and get an exterior sample can and paint- two coats and seal.

THE EASY WAY IS NOY ALWAYS THE BEST WAY!

• C Crow

If these pieces have been powder-coated they will require lots of sanding of every bit of the surface. You may want to look into the cost of powder coating them for a more permanent solution. Best wishes.

• DW

you could try a water based deglosser (follow instructions) then a good primer and then repaint. wire brush any rusted areas before priming..not the best but if care is taken it will work. obviously sand blasting is best but costly unless you have your own or access to one..