How can I insulate the roof?

+6

I have moved to my dream cabin. It has a vaulted ceiling with wood planks and wood beams, no attic. I'm getting ready to put a new roof on. Is there anyway to insulate it? I know the spray foam is really expensive so any other ways to do it? The cabin is only 1200sqft.

q can you insulate a roof
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Feb 17, 2019

I would talk to the people who are going to do your roof and ask them, they may be able to help you the most since they probably see it all in their line of work. They may do the work for a bit extra if they can.

• Rick Rick on Feb 17, 2019

use high density foam sheets. place furling strips down to allow air to circulate then plywood over. re-shingle over plywood

• Lynn Sorrell Lynn Sorrell on Feb 17, 2019

Insulate the roof?the whole cabin? There are many ways to insulate a buliding. Are you wanting to do it yourself DIY?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Feb 18, 2019

Check into adding a vapor barrier. We are adding reflectix to our crawlspace and I know it had some ceiling or roof references. It's kind of like aluminum bubble wrap.

• William William on Feb 18, 2019

The cathedral ceiling should be insulated between the ceiling and roof deck. The roofer can check when he replaces the roof. If it's not insulated, which it should be, he can remove the sheathing, insulate, and install new sheathing.

Another option is to do what Rick suggests. Have the roofer install high density foam board over the roof deck, 1/2" sheathing over the foam board, then the roofing.

• Frances Anderson Frances Anderson on Feb 18, 2019

In Scottish highlands we use grass on roofs. Yes you read it. Buy rolls of grass lay it over tarpolin grass roof natural outdoor garden and insulating worth a try

• Rick Heinemeyer Rick Heinemeyer on Feb 18, 2019

Don’t talk to a roofer. Talk with an insulation specialist. I think you will find the best way is with foam. Use close cell foam that way you will get a vapor barrier. The extra cost is so well worth it.

• Brenda Brenda on Feb 18, 2019

Get several opinions and estimates from licensed contractors. When 2 match, pick one.