Cheryl
Cheryl
  • Clinton, WA
Asked on Apr 14, 2019

How to release the stopper in bathroom sink that is stuck down?

EmJude GLindy
+2

How to release a bathroom sink stopper that is stuck down, not allowing water to flow down sink.

• Suzanne Cox

Wedge a thin, flat tool around the stopper and wedge up.

• Susan

look under the sink, there is some rods that allow the stopper to move up & down. The rods may be rusted, so I suggest WD-40 and spray on the rods and up to the stopper where it comes down from the sink. When I purchased new faucets it came with new rods for the stopper.Check with Your hardware store thy may just sell the rods. My sink & rods are from 1960 and still working. Good luck.

• Lindy

Playing off what Susan said---which was pretty spot on----it could also be that the rod has slipped out of the mechanism that pushes the stopper up. There is a part to the system with holes in it for the rod to slip through--at least on my sink---that allows for the up/down movement.

• Jude G

Try duct tape, stick it all over the stopper, press it on as much as you can, and pull gently. Area should be very dry first.

• Em

Push the rod that is attached to the stopper up. It is located under the sink.