How do I clean up pigeon droppings from my terrace railing and stone?

+9
  • William William on Apr 16, 2019

Garden hose and a stiff brush or broom.

• Willa Klein Willa Klein on Apr 16, 2019

No garden hose or water available on a 9th floor high rise in NYC. Any other ideas?

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Apr 16, 2019

My first choice would be pressure wash or high powered hose wash.

• Linda Linda on Apr 16, 2019

Try pressure washing it.

Pressure hoses and water not available on my 9th floor NYC terrace. Also, wouldn't be allowed.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 16, 2019

Hi Willa,

Prevention maybe necessary, is there something you can put on your railing that would prevent them from landing and doing their business? The feces from them contains pathogens which can infect humans, so if you can prevent them from stopping by.

It is well documented the sand blasters who work on bridges and overpasses where they nest and remove the pigeon droppings are putting themselves in danger if they do not wear a respirator mask.

I know that pigeon droppings are dangerous. My mother had to have a lobe of her lung removed because of an infection caused by pigeon droppings. However, I was looking for solutions. Unfortunately, everyone responded that I should use a pressure hose. My eighth floor balcony in NYC doesn't have a water outlet and we are not allowed such devices. I need real suggestions as to how to keep pigeons away, as well as how to clean up their droppings.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Apr 17, 2019

Hi Willa,

William has some excellent links for you. The cleaning involves water from a bucket and protection for you, guess you knew it would involve water at some point to clean up the waste, just not a hose and a blaster.

Best to you and so sorry to hear about the health problems your mother suffered through.

• Columbia GB Columbia GB on Apr 17, 2019

You can buy adapters to connect a garden hose to your indoor sink. I did this years ago to water my orchids on a second floor balcony. Worked well.