Rene Picard
Rene Picard
  • Bellingham, MA

How to repair steps?

MichelleAngie MarquisGrandmasHouseDIY

Steps crumbling .. need to repair or replace

q how to repair steps
q how to repair steps
q how to repair steps
  • GrandmasHouseDIY

Hi Rene, concrete, once it starts to crumble is generally really hard to repair and have it last very long. You can build forms and re-pour the stairs, essentially covering the old stairs with new concrete. That would help for quit awhile!

I've also seen a lot of DIYers online lately covering up their old concrete steps by building a deck and wood stairs right over the top of them. In fact I plan on doing that myself with my own front step.

• Angie Marquis

I have the same problem with my front steps. But my steps are cracked, where as these appear to be falling off in chunks. My home was built in 1939, these are the original steps........I'm thinking of using crack filler, sand down and then paint with a good paint for cement? Am I on the right track?

• Michelle

I had the same problems but city code where I live requires you to remove steps before building. I had a nice back deck put. The deck removed the steps and then built.