Do you know what these bed covers are called?

+6

Does anyone know what the name is of the comforters you see in period shows that are just wide and long enough to cover the top of the bed? I suppose they were used to keep from messing up the bed when lounging or napping. I'd love to find one.

• Recreated Designs Recreated Designs on May 21, 2019

HI Darlene. I think they are called quilts or duvet covers. They are usually filled with feathers though and that is why they look puffier. I am not sure of where to find them though.

• Mogie Mogie on May 21, 2019

Are you referring to a specific commercial?

• Give me the name of the program and I can Google it and watch. Then I can figure out what they used. My best guess it is a throw of some sort.

• Flipturn Flipturn on May 22, 2019

Is this what you are thinking of?

They are called afghans, (or sometimes coverlets, depending on where you lived) and were more commonly seen in decades gone by.

Afghans are hand made by knitting or crocheting.

• Philipp Philipp on May 23, 2019

Any specific shows? 'Period shows' don't really narrow it down. Are you by any chance thinking of a duvet (bamboo duvets on the link, but essentially work the same)? As far as I know, they were already in use before the 20th century.

• Darlene Ernst Darlene Ernst on Jun 04, 2019

No, these were just satin comforters but were just the size to only cover the top of the bed.

• Darlene Ernst Darlene Ernst on Jul 29, 2020

Mostly Downton Abbey. not a very good pic.