Judy
Judy
Asked on Jun 14, 2019

How do you remove stains and residue buildup from a toilet?

BetsyKarenKathy Gunter Law
+2

How do you get stains and buildup out of a toilet?

• Laura Cooper

Judy, I've found that a bleach soak is quite effective. It only takes a small amount of bleach, scrub around the toilet and let sit for a couple of hours. Flush away. Of course, this is for organic stains not mineral stains such as rust or scale. That takes an acid such as vinegar or rust out

• I'd try using something like Scrubbing Bubbles and let it sit for an hour or two and then scrub hard. Be sure to keep the area well-ventilated!

• Kathy Gunter Law

Lysol Lime & Rust Remover Toilet Bowl cleaner, comes in a black squirt bottle. Scrub with Scrub Daddy or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

• Karen

Pumice stone and elbow grease

Hey Judy: here are a couple of things you can try:

WD-40 The solvents in WD-40 will help dissolve any gunk and lime in your toilet. Spray your toilet bowl and let it sit for about 10 seconds and use a toilet brush to help scrub away the grime.

It may sound like an urban legend, but plenty of folks swear that Coke dissolves toilet rust rings. Here's a site about that: https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/clean-your-toilet-with-coke

Or, you can throw a couple of denture tablets in the water and let them sit over night. Scrub and that should do it.

Be sure to clean the holes under the rim, too. Use a mirror to see if they're rusty or clogged. If clogged, spray with a rust/lime/calcium remover. I get the Totally Awesome from Dollar Tree. Works great:) and try to remove the rust with a metal fingernail file. That's what I use:) Just poke it up into the hole and turn. Don't poke too high because you don't want to crack the porcelain. I use a fingernail file because it will break before ruining anything:)

Good luck.