How to seal/protect recently chalk-painted patio furniture cushions?

Cynthia HJMaura White
+3

The cushions on my screened porch furniture (2 chairs & a loveseat) looked so outdated, I couldn't stand them any longer. Purchasing new ones were not in this year's budget, so I painted them with 2 coats of chalk paint, sanding in between coats and after the final coat. They are smooth and the color is just what I wanted. Now, how do I finish the job to seal and protect them since they do occasionally get damp during a windy thunderstorm?

• Gk

Probably the only finish you can use on chalk painted fabric for outside use is wax. I don't think that using a poly finish over the fabric would work because it might crack from people sitting on the cushions. The wax might be more flexible on the fabric and give the cushions some protection from the elements. I would keep the cushions out of the sun and it sounds like you have them on a screened porch so they don't get too wet--just damp. I think your only option is wax but other DIYers might have a better suggestion.

• Maura White

I agree with using wax!

• J

Use scotchguard. My brother used it for his jeans before going skiing. His long johns stayed dry.

• Cynthia H

There is spray on waterproofing I've used on shoes and I found it to be flexible and waterproof. It wasn't expensive and I have used different brands, intended for shoes and boots. Good luck!