How do I prepare a wall for painting?

Valleycat1Sew crazyBetsy

I am going to paint vinyl coated wallpaper should I use sizing first? I have joint compounded the seams.

Hi Lorraine: No chance of removing the wallpaper? O.k., then try this:

Stick down any loose wallpaper before washing the walls with a mild detergent, rinse with clean water and let them dry thoroughly. Depending on your surface, you may need to use an undercoat. If you are painting onto vinyl wallpaper, you will need a coat of Multi-Surface Primer to create a base for the paint to sit on.

Here are a couple of sites that may help:

https://www.crownpaints.co.uk/advice/how-to-paint-over-wallpaper

https://living.thebump.com/tips-painting-vinyl-wall-coverings-6578.html

Good luck

• Lorraine Manning

Thank You Betsy, was just going to Google..Under this paper is very dark paneling that was mudded before the paper and since this is a prefab house under the paneling is plywood..no drywall..Was planning on using a primer first. Thank you for your response.

• Sew crazy

Why don’t you just remove it. You can go to your local tool rental shop and rent steamers to remove the wallpaper. Home Depot would probably have everything for the job. There is a tool that you run over the paper that puts little holes in it and there is also a product that you put on after that starts dissolving the glue, that cures for about 20 minutes, sometimes you don’t even need to steam the paper starts to peal off easily! That way you can paint properly and have a lasting job. Now you have a couple of solutions to chose from

• Lorraine Manning

Not an option here... under the paper is very dark paneling that was mudded before the paper and under that is plyboard walls. This is a prefab house. Will be talking to someone at paint store. Thank You for your response.

• Valleycat1

I have painted over wallpaper, and that old fake wood paneling before with no problem. All I did was patch holes, reattach any spots that were loose, and prime. If there is any chance the wallpaper was put up with wallpaper paste, you may want to do a test area with primer and the paint to be sure it doesn’t dissolve the glue. Or talk to someone at the paint store for advice on best products avoid the issue.

• Lorraine Manning

Thanks for the advice under this paper is a very dark wood paneling and paneling of that red brick paneling so taking the paper off i not an option here