How can I permanently etch/paint a name into a ceramic paint?

LABAnn Collins EdmondsonDee
+2

A name to it. I used permanent marker but it def will come off, so much for permanent (lol). Is there a way I can make it more permanent by putting it in the oven?

• Kelli L. Milligan

No unless you do it with the paints that you can bake on.

• Dee

If it is just for decoration, you can spray it with polyacrylic. Otherwise go to Michaels, or Hobby Lobby and get the permanent baked on markers or paint.

• Ann Collins Edmondson

You can also order the paints from Walmart or Amazon. I used regular acrylic paints, set in oven on rack, closed door and turned oven on to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (make sure to have plates in to warm up with the oven). When oven reaches 450 bake for 30 minutes then let cool down naturally. This should make them permanent. Not sure of being dishwasher safe but can hand wash.

• LAB

If the items are not to be used with food, this process might be a good option. But I wouldn't recommend it if food is going to come into contact with the design. Some of the pigments in acrylic paint are toxic and could leach out into the food.

• LAB

If the items are glazed, which they should be if they're for using with food, then you should be able to use the same etching process that you would use for glass. Make sure you look at the glaze carefully before you try it, though. If the glaze is badly crazed, it's possible that the etching paste will spread along the cracks.