Brenda Diamond
Brenda Diamond
  • Mountville, PA

How can I make a chemical free oven cleaner?

BetsyLinda SikutAnn|The  Apple Street Cottage
+1

How do I make chemical free oven cleaner?

• Louise

Liquid soap cleaner and baking soda.

• Linda Sikut

HI Brenda,

I make a paste of baking soda and water, then cover the inside of the oven. Let it sit overnight then clean it out in the morning. I often mix 50% each of vinegar and water to remove the last of the baking soda. Wishing you the best.

Hi Brenda: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (use just a bit of vinegar at first as the cream of tartar sort of melts) and put it on the gunk. Maybe start out with 3 tablespoons of cream of tartar and a 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar. Add more of whatever to make a paste. It should stick to a vertical surface if it's thick enough. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. A lot of people don't know, but on most stoves, the door comes off and the bottom of the oven comes off. You don't have to take the door off to get the oven floor out. Sometimes it's hard to get the door back on:) Also, the rack holders are removable:) This also works really good on pots, pans and cookie sheets with a burnt on mess. Good luck.