Are chalk painted cabinets easy to clean?

Lifestyles HomesFiddledd224Shirley Pott
+1

I have tons of cabinets and drawers and was thinking black gloss paint on doors and black/ charcoal chalk paint for the frames. Can charcoal paint have a sheen?Never tried it before and only seen what it looks like for antiquing. I want the cupboards to clean easily.

• Amazing Grace !

I did the glossy look on the cabinets, and when the lights were on at night it looked real crappy. I painted the top shiny cabinets over and used a semi gloss!

• Shirley Pott

The only time I have ever seen a nice finish on gloss paint is when it's been sprayed. Chalk paint is anything but easy to clean. I've had good success with Sico Furniture and Cabinet paint in a Melamine finish. A nice slightly matte look but fully scrubbable.

• Fiddledd224

I wouldn't mix paint finishes using the same color--- it will look like you made a mistake when you applied it. Instead, I would use a medium finish (like eggshell) on all pieces. Unless you use two different colors--- this could work.

• Lifestyles Homes

Yes, chalk paint is chalky and a flat finish. As in it is impossible to clean, because it is not a scrubbable finish, and it also absorbs a lot of splashes.

yes gloss paint is very scrubbable, but one has to do prep work, because any imperfections from previous paint jobs will “telescope” through the new gloss paint. Semi gloss is more forgiving, yet scrubbable.