How can I raise the height of the kitchen sink?

Jessica Welling InteriorsWilliamLaura Cooper

We built our home 32 years ago. At that time the standard kitchen counter height was 36". Currently, I believe new houses are built with taller counters. I would like to raise the height of my kitchen sink ONLY, maybe 2 - 3". Not wanting to put a ton of money into a whole new counter. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might go about having this done? Thank you for your thoughts.

• Laura Cooper
    Laura Cooper

36" is still a standard counter height. What you are thinking about doing will require the plumbing to be reconfigured. 2-3" is a lot for the supply lines and drain. There's usually not that much slack. Also, if you raise the counter, it needs to be enough support for the sink when it is full of water and dishes. That is substantial weight to place on a partial counter. So that the cabinets don't look funny, the cabinets should be raised from underneath rather than adding blocks on top. Still..... New construction standard height is 36-37".

• Kathy
      Kathy

Yes, I was afraid this might be too complicated. I did see where someone had taken an old bathroom vanity, maybe 40" across and raised the whole thing with what looked to be 4x4's on the bottom -- that is what started my brain wondering, what if......

William

I agree with Laura. Standard height is 36". The sink sits on the countertop or mounted from underneath. Can't raise the sink by itself without raising the complete countertop. This can only be done by raising the base cabinets and that involves disconnecting plumbing to the sink, dishwasher (if you have one). Removing both, then the countertop, then the cabinets, building a new base for the cabinets, reinstalling the cabinets, mount the countertop, install the sink/dishwasher, update plumbing for height difference. A lot of work for 2" to 3" of sink height.

• Jessica Welling Interiors
    Jessica Welling Interiors

Agreed- counters are still 36" standard height, and this would be pretty involved. Is the issue back pain when doing dishes? I wonder if it would help to install a slightly shallower sink instead of raising the whole thing? Then you wouldn't have to reach down as far.