Sixteenfourteen
Sixteenfourteen
  • Reston, VA

What's the best way to remove paint from window glass?

Jag13930400Judy HGlenda Pino
+40

My husband painted the window frames in our kitchen and dining room without taping off the glass. Now that it's done, what's the best way to remove the paint on the glass? I tried Goof Off in one spot and it worked, but it got really messy so I wasn't sure if there might be a better way.
Thank you so much in advance!
Aimee
sixteenfourteen.weebly.com
q what s the best way to remove paint from window glass, cleaning tips, windows
  • Designs by BSB

a very clean/new razor blade or scraper! they sell them just for this in the paint asile

• Lauren Z

I just cleaned some VERY old windows for a craft project and used a product called Goof Off. It softens even the oldest paint and then you can wipe and/or scrape it right off. Definitely do this with windows open and lots of ventilation -- the fumes are strong. We also used this to remove 30+ year old paint from our wood floors when we pulled up the carpet -- came right off and didn't damage the wood!

• Thistlewood

I'm with Becky....I use a brand new razor blade!

• Peggy B

Buy single edge razor blades or go to your local home store. They have small tools with razor edging that work great and also have replaceable blades.

• Sixteenfourteen

Thanks all! I really appreciate the advice: Goof Off and a razor/scraper sounds like the best bet!

• Kim N

I use a straight edge razor blade and window cleaner. Comes right off.

• Bernice H

Me too!

• Joy2Journey

Me three :)

• Dan M

I normally replace each pane of glass after painting. No messy cleanup.

• Susan L

Don't use the goof off next to the painted edge, you will ruin the paint.

• Rhoda S

My husband is an artist so I use turpentine and a strait edge razor

• Raymond G

Hand grenades, if that doesn't work try the blade idea.

• Susan L Bascom

I always use a razor blade and it works great...

• Betty M

RAZOR BLADE. Let the paint dry, then gently scape off the paint with a razar blade. Then wipe with glass cleaner and your done. Don't push too hard so as not to break the glass and avoid scratching it.

• B

A razor blade and window cleaner- just be gentle.

• Irene Compean T

Use the razor blade to cut down on glass, next to the frame so the debri (paint) comes off clean from the frame. If not the debri might be jagged coming off the frame. I hope this makes sense.

• Patricia L

Razor blade scraper,after cutting next to the frame.

• Darla P

i wash windows for a living. the secret is to use soapy water make sure the window is WET or you scratch the glass. Then use a very sharp razor like the loose ones they sell at hardware stores. They also sell a blade holder tool which is a great idea. Scrape off and the rewet and squeggee off.

• Elaine G

Use a dull razor blade at a slanted angle so not to scratch the glass, but this works best. Can even smooth out the edging on the frame with the blade.

• Mary S

Use the scraper thing that a razor blade fits into, the old fashioned razor blade. This is the only way to do it easily. Comes right off and blade gets in the corners.

• Judy H

Razor blade--best if you get a little holder and one-sided blades to go in it. It will save your fingers.... signed gnarled fingers from way too much hand work in house renovation...

• Linda L

I'm with everyone else.....blade it. And tell hubby to use painters tape next time he paints a window with panes. It takes less time to tape it off than it does to blade the results of a non taped window.

• Betty W

Yep, razor blade scraper.

• Sharron W

It's unanimous! Use a razor blade scraper! LOL

• Molly Q

I'm a stained glass artist... the best tool I have found is the finest steel wool. I think it's 0000. Located at your nearest Hardware Store. ( No water needed)

• John T

I kinda like to paint a little onto the glass as well, on older windows where the putty is starting to shrink. It helps seal the wood and putty to the glass, and the cleanup is a task, but worth the effort. Blue tape helps.

• Ginny G

Hand the HUB's a razor blade and show him the window, then you go shopping. :)

• Carol M

Yep, a razor blade. And I do this on purpose. I think it's much easier to scrape off than tape.

• Jana

I have a pile of old window frames and they all have lots of paint on the panes, the way I remove the paint is to use a razor blade slanted at an angle, also be sure to put the blade into one of those holders~you don't want to cut yourself.

• Nancy B

I'm with Carol M, the razor is easier than taping foe me

• Jan T

use a razor. it works better than anythig else

• Jim G

HOW I use a razor: **** BE CARFEFUL NOT to put too much pressure on the blade. Slight angle and slow and easy! Slice along the edge of the window to glass (right along the caulk material), THEN SCRAPE the paint toward the edge. It should make it easy to vacuum off the glass (easier then pulling it pieces at a time.) ** I've painted intentfully W/O tape to see if it was just as much time NOT to use painters tape, but use THAT time to scrape, but I've painted LOTS of windows to know that its easier for me to tape, then paint, then after removing the tape, just a tiny bit of tape to scrape.

• Cindy F

Take a utility knife and trim around the inside of the window panes so when you remove the paint with a razor or even the utility knife works great you won't remove the paint on the wood.

• Susan G

I'm with the rest ! Use a razor blade. It comes off better than anything else I've tried.

• Sandy S

Spray glass cleaner and then while wet use a straight edge razor blade. Always work with a wet surface or you can scratch the glass.

• Esther D

we are all in agreement re the razor solution...Also one can use vaseline as a pre-empt with one's finger

• Sharron W

@Ginny G I like the way you think Girl! HaHaHA

• Tammy T

Use a paint scrapper. Its a cheap tool that uses a straight razer blade (comes with the tool) You can get them at any hardware store and most grocery stores

• Sixteenfourteen

Thank you SO much, everyone! Your advice was so helpful! I posted on my blog about the paint removal project, and my new status as a "Hometalk Fangirl." http://sixteenfourteen.weebly.com/2/post/2012/07/how-to-remove-paint-from-window-glass-hometalk-fangirl.html

q what s the best way to remove paint from window glass, cleaning tips, windows, AFTER I took your advice
  • Diana Deiley

I use a small blade scraper, and it always works well. Afterwards I clean the window with glass cleaner and paper towels. I wouldn't use anything that might affect the paint. Best of luck.

• Glenda Pino

I think men do this type job on purpose sometimes, then we won't ask them to do things! Let him clean it, he won't make that mistake again.

• Judy H

Single edge razor blades--the traditional choice and it works. They are often put INTO window scrapers so they are easier to hold. Follow Diana Deiley's advice.

• Jag13930400

A razor blade held at an angle to the glass is the best way to remove paint. I NEVER tape off my glass any more. The razor is faster, cleaner, and doesn't leave a tape film (and is cheaper!) One important tip: Take the razor tip or a sharp pointed knife and cut the paint where the paint leaves the surface and touches the glass. Get as close to the painted surface as you dare. Then, when you scrape the paint off the glass, it leaves a "clean" edge next to the painted surface. Looks as though you DID tape it! :)