Asked on Nov 9, 2019

How do I unclog a sink?

MogieCarrie @ Curly Crafty MomSusan Ellis Yamakawa
+1

You will need this:

A small box of baking soda

1/2 cup vinegar

At least 1 quart of hot water. Not boiling hot or you can crack the porcelain .)

Directions

1. Bail out any standing water .
    2. Dump about 1/2 of a box of dry baking soda down the drain.
    3. Get your plunger or stopper ready and at your side, and be prepared to hold it down tightly.
    4. Put a cloth in the overflow hole tightly, it's usually near the top of the sink or by the front of a bath tub.
    5. Following the baking soda, pour 1/2 cup of vinegar down the drain.
    6. Immediately after you pour it in, plug the drain with the plunger or stopper, or whatever you have that can seal the opening, covering the drain hole completely so nothing can escape.
    7. HOLD TIGHT!The interaction of the vinegar and baking soda will cause a “mini volcano” that will come up and out of the drain if you don’t keep it down there, to bust out your clog.
    8. After the initial “volcano” subsides, leave the baking soda and vinegar mixture in the drain for about 30 minutes. While you are waiting, boil a tea kettle full of water. Use some for a cup of tea :)
    9. After 30 minutes, remove the stopper or plunger and slowly pour the boiling water down the drain.
    10. This should take care of the clog. You may have to do it twice, but usually not.

Good luck

• Susan Ellis Yamakawa

I put baking soda and vinegar and use a plunger.i have two plungers- one for my sink and one for my toilet.