Alison
Alison
  • Powder Springs, GA

Can two different type of hardwood floors close together still work

Kelly SBecky (J) PAlison
+25

I plan on replacing my kitchen floor with tile that looks like hardwood. At that time I plan on replacing the kitchen floor I would like to replace my hallway which the kitchen is off of. The problem is the hallway stops just short of my dining room which is hardwood. I don't want to match floor colors nor do I have the money to replace the dining room floor.
Do you think having two different color floors that close together is a wrong way to go?
New floor stops at wall.
New floor stops at wall.
  • Sixteenfourteen

I think it's a matter of personal preference {like everything else, right?} :) In my opinion, it wouldn't look right. Since you're planning on doing tile anyway, could you select something that would complement the hardwood instead?

• Designs by BSB

Maybe! My opinion would be if the colors/or tile sizes are similar then it will make the tile look bad - spot lighting the "fake". If you pick a tile that is wider and really different.. then maybe! I would just get a sample of a few tiles and lay them next to the hardwood (2-3 at least if you can get your hands on them!) -- share a photo!

• Becky H

How about more pictures, giving us an idea of the floor plan? Perhaps the kitchen flooring could include a portion of the hallway to the wall in the left of your photo. (Or is this photo of the kitchen floor; it looks like carpet in the photo.) It's hard to tell from just this picture.

• Alison

Here's another picture of the area. The kitchen is off to the left where the mat is. Mat there to stop our dog from licking another reason to pull this carpet up.The whole hall way and kitchen will be tile hardwood.The new floor will stop right at the wall.

q can two different type of hardwood floors close together still work, flooring, hardwood floors, tile flooring
  • Becky H

Alison, when you say "tile hardwood" you ARE refering to either porcelain or ceramic tile, aren't you? My thoughts, for what they're worth, are: Don't try to match the hardwood flooring. Go with a white washed look or something distinctly different. Or, see if they don't have another tile with some type of decoration to coordinate with the tile you've chosen to create an interesting border/frame around the tile. That way, you don't have to do matchy, matchy. All looks perfectly intentional and designed.

• I am with BeckySue. If you try for a match, you could easily end up with a "near miss". In that case, the better option is to find something that will compliment your existing hardwoods. That way, it appears planned.

• Alison

Thanks for all of your help, this site is great. They have out there tile that looks like hardwood, it can be ceramic or porcelain. It's very pretty and will solve my problem replacing my kitchen floor for the 3 time do to water damage.I think you guys are correct it's better to find something that will complement the hardwood I already have. I've added two pictures of what tile hardwood looks like. Thanks again!!

q can two different type of hardwood floors close together still work, flooring, hardwood floors, tile flooringq can two different type of hardwood floors close together still work, flooring, hardwood floors, tile flooring
  • Becky H

I think I'd go with the one w/the various shades in it and lay it just like that; it would definitely stand on it's own.

• Melissa

I don't understand why eveyone is saying it wouldn't look right, don't you put different color carpeting in rooms off of the main hall? I have seen many homes with different color flooring in each of their rooms. And, I decorate homes.

• Bernice P

I love the various shades, I think that would look fantastic

• Karen B

My kitchen floor is a beautiful golden/red oak and my living room and dining room which both butt up to the kitchen on two sides is an exotic dark hardwood. They look absolutely beautiful together as attested by everyone who comes into the house. Use a transition strip between the two rooms and the different colors flow perfectly.

• Bruce Y

A change in flooring is often used to define sep spaces

• Shannon A

I think it could work as long as the hallway has the same high sheen that the other has. I like different. You can use the dark wood color from the other room to accent the hallway through the use of vases, and an runner rug.

• Kelly S

The one on the left would look great against your existing hardwood floor. Since you plan on removing the carpet, just remember that dogs and slick surfaces don't mix. You'll need area rugs or runners to help your dog stay on all 4s. Kids and husbands too.

• Becky (J) P

I bought the tile that looks like wood from Lowes for my bathroom. It comes in two colors. Buy one of each and put it up against the hardwood. (hope the link works) http://www.lowes.com/pd_155515-88283-76969535449_4294856526__?productId=3476831&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

• Beverly D

Either one would work. I would probably prefer the one on the left. but let me tell you I had the one on the right in my last home and I loved it! Everyone thought it was wood. Most people coming in for the first time after we put it down would bend over to touch it. They couldn't believe it was tile. You will never regret it.

• Ann R

only way it would work is putting a border around the room in the same color as the one room already done and inside do a different color or mixing the colors together thru out the pattern. Otherwise the first impression will always make is it was an add on. Do it right or you'll always look and regret it. Remember when you go to sell the house of what other's will think.

• Judy C

I think you should decorate to please yourself. Make yourself happy & all will be good.

• Cathy C

you should do it to your taste but have you thought about finding a color that would be complimentary to the existing hardwood and maybe picking up some that matches the existing to use as an accent..... kind of making it an easier transition?

• Lisa H

I think you should always do the same throughout if you can. What if you just removed the floor trim and like two of every three planks to make them longer and flow into the next room, then just do the same flooring. It makes the space seem bigger and helps for resale.

• Jeanette S

When it came time to replace my kitchen floor, I did not want the real oak because I we have pets and I did not want the worry of watching out for water on the floor...that stray ice cube someone drops or the splashes from the dog. We investigated and picked out a white oak laimante but instead of threasholds that stick up, we chose decorative ceramic tile that is used for bordres and glued it down. It has been down over 3 years now and I abaolutely love it! This is the kind of floor that I ran a test on...put it in water for a week and it only got wet! No damage! We have the same type flooring in our den (again pets and grandchild) and 7 years later it looks new!

q can two different type of hardwood floors close together still work, flooring, hardwood floors, tile flooring, Threshold of tile border keep floor level no bump
  • Linda V

When we replaced the carpet in our master BR, we wanted a dark color but the hallway/loft area was red oak hardwood. We thought it would be too much of a contrast but we don't even notice the transition anymore. We used a mahogany color Pergo flooring.

• Becky (J) P

@Jeanette: this is a very cool idea with the tile between rooms!

• Sharyl V

My living room is wood and the flooring around it is tile.Meaning dinning room/kitchen. It needs to be a complementary color or it will look to chopped up. My bedroom's are also wood.

• Alison

I'll post pictures when we get it all done!!

• Alison

My kitchen is done I love that I went with wood tile. We didn't tile our hall way just our kitchen. Love it and would recommend to anyone thinking of putting tile down look into wood tile.

• Becky (J) P

looks great! my bathroom floor with the same tile should (fingers crossed) get done next week.

• Kelly S

super cool. lol The tile will feel good in the summertime on bare feet.