Vapor Rub Shower Steamers

$5

I've been wanting to try these Vapor Rub Shower Steamers for quite some time. Since everyone in my household prefers showers instead of baths they sounded perfect.

They're easy to make, just drop one or two on the floor of the shower near the drain as you get in. They dissolve during your shower releasing the vapors to help clear your congestion.

You'll need: Your favorite silicone mold, 3 Tablespoons Vicks Vapor Rub, 1 cup Cornstarch, 5-6 Tablespoons water, Soap coloring of your choice (optional)

In a medium mixing bowl, add the cornstarch, Vapor Rub, and 4 Tablespoons water. 

Stir well. If the mixture still seems too dry, add more water as needed until a thick paste forms.

Drizzle 3-4 drops of Soap coloring (optional) into mixture 

and stir until you reach your desired color.

Transfer the vapor rub paste into your silicone molds.

Freeze for 2 hours to allow the Shower Steamers to harden.

Once frozen, transfer to an airtight container.

These make a most appreciative gift for someone under the weather.

For more info and photos for this craft and other inexpensive craft and home decorating ideas, check out my blog

Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

• Dawn

The Vicks doesn't stop the drain up after awhile?

• Tammy

Dawn if you are on a septic I wouldn't chance it. I have had to have mine unclogged because I was using oils in the shower. The Rooter man showed me a big solid clog of thick oily yuck...Cities have to deal with that and often homeowners are not aware.

• Robin

Great idea... would these work in a wax melt (scentsy)? Or would it burn? Anyone try to make vapo-rub wax melts to use while sleeping? I’m thinking there’s probably some bad chemical we wouldn’t want to heat... feel well, everyone!

• Debbie/Dragonfly Treasure

hmm, good question. I have no idea, but would think it's probably better to stick to essential oils and wax. I have a diffuser I use for aromatherapy. You add water and several drops of which ever EO's you'd like. It releases steam into the air along with the essence of the EO. I have a diffuser in the living room and one in the bedroom. The diffuser stays on for hours and turns off automatically when empty. Several EO's are great for congestion, peppermint and eucalyptus are two that pop into my head right away. There are several that help with sinus infections also - Tea Tree Oil, Oregano Oil and Clary Sage help by fighting off bacteria associated with viruses - depending on what your congestion is from.....

Just some thoughts for you

• Elizabeth

Do you keep them stored in the freezer?

• Nessa England

Luckily, my family has not had to use the steamers I made, yet. How do you keep them from melting once you take them out of the freezer?

• Brenda White
    An hour ago

Hello I tried your vapor bombs. The scent of vicks is really mild maybe because I wasn't congested. I wanted to try them before I gave them as a gift.