Asked on Feb 2, 2020

Can you help me troubleshoot my heat pump furnace?

JaniceChristina Faye RepurposedLifestyles Homes
+8

My outside heat pump furnace make a squealing sound and when that happens my light seems to go a little dim. I don't know if that's enough of info for a diagnose. What could that be.

• Sharon

You need a professional service call to protect your investment in a heat pump.

Hi Dorene: Sounds like something is giving way or needs oil. I'd call someone out to take a peek at it before it gets too bad. Once you get a diagnosis, you can call other service places, tell them what's going on and what you were told and get a good price on the repairs. Good luck

Sounds like the motor is struggling to start, drawing to many amps causing the lights to dim. Should not happen. The heat pump should be on it's own circuit. Get a HVAC tech out there.

• Cynthia H

I agree that this is not a DIY fix. HVAC is best addressed with annual checkups and repairs by a trained technician.

• This is definitely not a DIY fix as it could be anything. Best left to a pro to diagnose and fix it for you.

• Deb K

Hi Dorene, I think you may need to call a pro out for this, there may be a moving part in there that needs to be lubricated, but I would not advise you taking it apart if you are unsure of the inner workings, best be safe and call some one in who does know.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would make a call out to have someone service it soon. Sounds like something isn't working exactly how it should.

• Lifestyles Homes

If you end up replacing your heat pump, look and see if higher SEER Rating will get you the Fed Tax Incentives or an Energy Star Rebate.

• Christina Faye Repurposed

I would definitely call an expert!

• Janice

Here's some info for you, however, you may want to get a professional to work on yours. The info attached will give you an idea of what's involved in proper maintenance, even if you decide to call in a pro this one time.

Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpANlj_leho