Asked on Apr 5, 2020

Can you paint brass welding rods?

JaniceK. RuppFlipturn
+9

• Redcatcec

Hi Cindy,

Yes, you can, the secret is in the preparation of them, here's how:

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Brass

• Deb K

Hi Cindy, you sure can, here is a link for you to check out, follow instruction exactly to ensure it sticks, good luck :)

https://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Brass

• Mogie

Clean the brass or metal with a rag and soapy water to remove any dirt. If the soapy water is not strong enough to clean the metal, use a glass cleaner that contains ammonia to clean it.

Rinse the metal object and dry it thoroughly.

Spray-paint the metal object with a spray primer designed for use on metal surfaces.

Paint the dry primed object with spray paint in your desired color. You do not need to use a special type of spray paint, because any paint will adhere to the primer.

Spray a clear acrylic sealer onto the brass or metal object when the paint is completely dry. This will help to protect the paint and prevent it from chipping.

Is this outside or inside your home?

• Craft Invaders

Spray paint designed for metal works great on brass. I'd recommend using a primer first too :)

• Linda

I have found spray paint to just about paint anything. Spray paint that comes in a can is usually an oil base which bonds well to anything.

• Cynthia H

Hi! You can paint almost anything with the right prep and paint. Make sure they are squeaky clean and dry first. Use a paint intended for metal.

• Dee

Use Rustoleum primer, lightly sand then spray it again in light coats with the color of your choice in Rustoleum spray paint.

• Linda

If so I would try spray paint which has an oil base.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I would use a spray paint outside to touch them up!

• Flipturn

Could I ask what your project is, or where the rods are?

• K. Rupp

Rustoleum paints are the way to go for metals. Brass can be painted no problem. I just did a lamp recently that was brass. I cleaned it first and rubbed with steel wool. Then painted. What color do you want to paint it? If you like silver, one of the paints that give an amazing silvery finish is that looking glass spray paint(mirror). It made my lamp beautiful. Another great finish is black stainless steel by rustoleum. Definitely check out those metallic paint colors!!! Good luck!

• Janice

You sure can, just clean them well and maybe use a bit of steel wool to help the paint adhere. Rustoleum and Krkylon brands have paints manufactured especially for use on metal pieces. Many colors or a differenet metallic color that you like best