Linda M
Linda M
  • Dixon, IL

Concrete bird bath

Ella Frierson BondCarmenKim Kilmer
+15

I broke the top of my concrete bird bath. I'm left with the base which has a squirrel on it. Any ideas for repurposing it?
  • Sherrie S

Linda M, is the top of birdbath large enough to hold a small/medium pot? If so you could put plants in a pot above what sounds like a very nice base with a squirrel.

• Linda M

I thought about plants but I am more of a perrenial type flower person.

• Sherrie S

You can put perennials in the pots. Annuals only last a season. Perennials last at least a couple years and some for a long, long time.

• Lori J

I have one that I topped with a gazing ball.

• Dee W

If you need a purpose for the stand it depends on if it is flat or has a raised center. If it is flat you could use it as a table/stand on the patio by adding a wood or glass top. Keep in proportion to avoid tipping. If it is raised a potted plant perhaps or a plant saucer filled with some succulents or water if you still wanted to use it for the birds.

If you can affix a flat surface to the base, you could turn it into a plant stand, as this Hometalk member did: http://www.hometalk.com/search?filter=bird+bath+plant+stand&search=&zipcode=#!/441429

• Kathy R

Home Depot or Lowes sells the bases and bowls separately.

• Lori J

Indeed they do, Kathy R., but (speaking from personal experience) the way they fit together is so different from one to another, that making a mismatch match is much more of a challenge.

• Wendy B

can't wait to see what you have chosen to do with it!

• Sherry L

I like the idea of a glass table top. Then it can be a table for the patio or a plant stand.

• Sharon M

We have had glass tables flip in the wind and shatter into a million pieces. I would look for something unbreakable if you want a table. Glass and the outdoors don't seem to mix unless you don't get wind gusts.

• Julee S

1) You could paint the concrete base with latex stain and then attach (with HD construction adhesive) a painted round wooden top to it. 2) You could attach an interesting concrete, ceramic or resin statue to it to make it a garden sculpture 3) You could make a glass tower sculpture on top if it out of old plates, bowls and old glassware. Just a couple of thoughts...

• Jane

I had the same problem, plus I am lazy. I attached a big blue pot to the pedestal by using landscaping staples pushed through the dirt into the hole on the top. Every year I buy a hanging plant, cut off the hanging part and stick it into the pot. Looks great, and takes no effort.

• Rachel

you can buy a new top at lowes if you wanted to or get a fancy bowl and adhere to the base

• Kim Kilmer

When mine broke, I bought a large clay saucer you would use under a patio pot and used silicone to attach it. Still functions as a bird bath...........

• Carmen

Like Kim said a large clay saucer and they mosaic beautifully. I use small glass tiles from Menards.

• Ella Frierson Bond

I just thought of this. I have a base and I think I will paint it black and put a big, black lantern on it for the patio area. Either a candle or an electric fixture inside.