Can you stain engineered (and veneered) wood?

Debbie SmithMogieTerrie Goodson Henderson
+11

Hey Hometalkers! I'd really like to give my son's train table a makeover by painting the drawers and staining the rest, but I'm not sure it's possible. The table is made of engineered wood with a "birch" veneer (I have this in quotations, because I'm not sure if the veneer is even wood.) If I lightly sand it, will it accept stain? Has anyone tried to do this before?
  • R.V.R. Farris
    R.V.R. Farris

I haven't any experience in dealing with veneered or engineered wood, however, I did want to tell you how much I love your son's train table. Did y'all build it or buy it? It's wonderful!

• Colimbia1
    Colimbia1

I don't believe that you can stain engineered wood. It isn't real wood underneath and would not take stain well. My advice is to paint it with chalk paint. Others may have other painting suggestions.

• Sherrie
    Sherrie

It is real wood but it is compressed with other material with a coating. Saying that you could try painting it. Getting it to accept stain is the problem. So people have had luck with a gel like stain. General finishes. I know absolutely nothing about it or how it works. But I know many who have had great luck with that.

• Debora Stoeberl
    Debora Stoeberl

Prime the wood first then paint it

• Karen Kay Babineaux
    Karen Kay Babineaux

Sand a small corner that would be inconspicuous to the eye. Dab a cue tip in the stain and make a small dot in side the sanded corner and you will have your answer!

• Nancy J Goldwire
    Nancy J Goldwire

Use a "Deglosser" on the table, then use a stain. Not certain if you should use an acrylic stain or an oil base. Your local hardware store should be able to tell you. Good luck.

• Nancy Jungnitsch
    Nancy Jungnitsch

use a java gel stain, it will work on anything and comes in several different wood colors.

• 117135
    117135

Gel stain is the answer. General finishes has several colors to choose from and they have great videos on their site on how to use.

• Debbie Gartner
    Debbie Gartner

I doubt that you'll be able to sand and stain it. It would depend on a) whether it's real and b) how thick it is, and I doubt that it's thick enough. That being said, birch does not accept stain well - it turns out blotchy even with a conditioner.

Whatever you do, you can test it first by removing one of draws and do it towards the back so it won't be seen.

I think you'll have more luck with paint and primer and prob need to light sand/rough up the surface so it adheres better.

Debbie, The Flooring Girl
  • Terrie Goodson Henderson
    Terrie Goodson Henderson

I have the same question I was looking at a used desk I really like but some rubbing on some drawers that looks off white and of course stands out cause the whole thing is in a cherry wood color....Says it's made of solid and engineered wood. I want to strip it and stain it a different color ...Does anyone have any ideas if I should even bother with this?

• Mogie
    Mogie

• Debbie Smith
    Debbie Smith

I painted a bookcase that had cherry veneer. First clean and lightly sand to rough up. Then I used a primer called "Stix." After the primer completely dried, I painted with a water-based enamel paint used for cabinets.