Asked on Nov 5, 2014

How should I decorate my 14 year old girls room for Christmas?

BarbPolly ZieperCathy
+35

I am a single mom, trying to decorate my daughters room for Christmas. Nothing too expensive. Please Help!!
Her favorite spot with her chair...any ideas???
Her bed and desk..any ideas??
  • Veronica White
    Veronica White

When I was 14, I hated my mum even coming into my bedroom, let alone changing things around.

• Cathy
    Cathy

@ Kristen S. Have you spoken to her on the Idea, sugest something to her maybe it could be a Mom & daughter project .. My MOm bought me a small tree in white it fit on my Dresser & as I got older I added my own decorations to it & I even had that white cloth with sparkel on it as snow & bought some houses & make a small village underneeth, every yr I changed the art of decorating one yr Victorian style.I don't know what U'r financial situation is but I am sure online U can find some cool ideas with just using household items or less exspensive items.. I will think it over & try to give more ideas & maybe send pict.. Does your daughter have any favorites like Monster High or flowers, stars, Angels to get theam Ideas....

• Grangerite
    Grangerite

Don't she's 14 . If she wants it decorated for Christmas she will come up with the idea.

• I used to sneak into my kids' rooms when they were at school and put up a little tabletop tree on their desks. It was enough of a surprise for them, but didn't disrupt their space.

• Janet Friend
    Janet Friend

draw her into the making of snowflakes/from folded coffee filters,macical string litesDon't forget scent(Fabreeze has em / no fire with candlesSound of hoilday music hers of course should be a starter enjoy doing this together have fun!

• Teddi B
    Teddi B

I have to agree with everyone else, don't do it! Ask her if she wants to. If she does there are 2 ways to go. One has been suggested a mom-daughter project, maybe the start of a tradition? Secondly, this could be an opportunity for a life lesson. Give her a 'budget' to work with & let her find her own style! Be there for guidance!

• Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells

Let her do it! Make some suggestions if you must; but she is old enough to make those type of decisions.

• V Valencia
    V Valencia

If she wants Chirstmas decoration in her room, I would t do a tabletop Christmas tree in her favorite color or favorite character, such as a Disney character, favorite sport, etc. I know my teenage daughter likes lights..so add those too. Over the years, I have bought an ornament that represents something in my daughters' lives over the years. My 25 year old daughter moved out awhile back, so I gave her a little box with all her ornaments from years past. She remembered them all.

• Diane
    Diane

A little paint and her idea of color and design goes a long way. Start in a paint store. Put fringe around the lamp shade.

• SheWhoMustBeHeard
    SheWhoMustBeHeard

Once you've gotten her permission to change her space, I'd go easy and traditional. If you have any extra garland (or a bush/cedar/evergreen to make one) I'd just add twinkle lights. We've found that the little lights are really festive, don't draw a bunch of energy, and the garland can either be decorated or not. It's relatively a clean, seasonal look that can then be spruced up with ornaments, bows, popcorn, or whatever else she would like to decorate with.

• Suggest hanging her Christmas cards on a string alongside her bed on the wall, two push pins hold it up. Surprise her with a Christmas bear on her chair, $ 10. at Walmart.

• Janice Walworth Yohan
    Janice Walworth Yohan

You can purchase used trees and decorations at goodwill or salvation army. I hung glitttered stars from the ceiling with fishing line at different heights. It was magical.

• Swan Road Designs
    Swan Road Designs

Clarify. Do you wish to redecorate/redo her room or to decorate it for the holidays? Big difference between the two. If you want to redecorate/redo her room, it's her private space (especially since she's 14), so you need to ask her what she wants or she even wants it to be changed. Perhaps she is comfortable with it the way it is and/or it represents a secure place for her to close out the rest of the world. On the other hand, if it's Christmas decorating you want to do, you should still ask for her input and, as someone else also suggested, you might want to make it a joint (and hopefully fun) project the two of you could do together.

• Jean Brady
    Jean Brady

Choose something that she loves and use that for your theme. Go to Pinterest and look for ideas. Google what item/s you want to use and you will find lots of ideas. Merry Christmas and have fun decorating!

• Opal
    Opal

String up Christmas lights, with her, using command hooks either along the ceiling or possibly in the shape of a tree on the wall on the side of her bed.

• Bette
    Bette

When my kids were younger we took favorite Christmas wrapping paper, ribbon, and bows and covered all the pictures in their rooms like presents. We changed out light bulbs to red or green too. Added battery candles in their windows ro show outside.

• Ashley Mann
    Ashley Mann

First off, just like everyone else, I agree that you should let her have final say as to if and how her room is decorated. Secondly, when I was her age, I liked just having lots of multicolored lights in my bedroom. They were fun to have on at night when I was sleeping. Unless she has her own plan for decor, I would keep it fun and not too fancy.

• Cyndie S
    Cyndie S

There are two ways to read this part of your question, "decorate for Christmas". I think you mean redecorate her room as a gift for her for Christmas, not decorate using Christmas decor. Which is it?

• Kirsten Snaturb
      Kirsten Snaturb

She asked me to decorate her room for her with Christmas decor? So what should I use? How should I do it? What should I make?

• Veronica White
    Veronica White

Print up some Xmas scenes and put them in some cheap colourful frames. Stick some baubles on them. Her walls look a bit bare. Then perhaps after Xmas she can change the prints for something else. Another nice thing I saw on Pinterest was a long twig attached to the wall with baubles hanging from it. Def check out Pinterest for ideas. Good luck!

• Jill Vokey
    Jill Vokey

Get some red and green construction paper and make a chain by cutting the paper and looping circles around opposite colors. You just need a stapler and the paper.Also maybe a small tree on her nightstand or bureau.

• Grangerite
    Grangerite

Turn bedspread to the solid color. Is it red or pink? Go with that color skeme . Put a stuffed Santa on her bed by pillow. Hang ornaments off the lamp shade. Put a Christmas light in the window like a star or snow flake. If have a small Christmas throw rug put it in the room by her chair. Recover a pillow or two with Christmas fabric that matches the color skeme and cover picture with wrapping paper and a bow.

• Swan Road Designs
    Swan Road Designs

Okay, now that I understand that she wants her room transformed for Christmas, I can get my ideas working. Firstly, you might want to zero in on what really interests her and then capitalize on that. If she's into traditional holiday decor, then that shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Or, it she has other interests, go for that. Perhaps she enjoys antique cars or something of that nature, you could use this interest as a springboard for the decorating theme. All I am really saying is that what might be the best decorative gift you could give her is the gift of her own imagination. Listen to her and hear what she has to say about what sparks her happiness.

• Polly Zieper
      Polly Zieper

@Swan Road Designs I agree- if she likes a really feminine look, you can find old pictures, lace table runners that could be hung or put on a dresser, etc at good will or sal. Army. I found an old Beatles album and had it framed for my son's room at college- it was old but not valuable, magazines are good to frame, also.Does she like books, sports, nature, etc?her interests should guide you.

• Rebecca Van Campen
    Rebecca Van Campen

I love her room! My ideas: a furry blanket on her fave chair, twinkle lights strung back and forth over the bed...or paper snowflakes...colors for Christmas or white to take her through the year, a garland or stocking at the foot board, string bells on her desk chair, the wall does look bare and there are plenty of ideas on Pinterest to make wall decor with what you have on hand...even branches from outdoors with some lights strung through would be magical tucked into the bed's corner...a vase of evergreen (ask for cut branches at any tree stand or cut your own)...stringing cotton balls looks like snow...flameless candles are peaceful and safe. I always had my own small tree in my room along with all 3 off my children. Check thrift shops if you are near to them. Good luck! Love to see how it turns out!

• Cathy
    Cathy

what about the snow flakes you can cut out with plain white paper,

• Polly Zieper
    Polly Zieper

Her favorite chair and the lamp look kind of 70's- hippy, is that a style she would like for the room?I'd look at every Goodwill and Salvation Army for items she likes( with your daughter, of course), for whatever theme/style/vibe she likes.

• Barb
    Barb

Why not get her ideas and her do it herself. My daughters would have loved that.